SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Laundromat's outrageous pricing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laundromat's outrageous pricing Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
The last time I used a laundromat was ~2006, while living in a cheap apartment without a washer and drier. Back then, it was like $1-$2 to wash and $1-$2 to dry, and the machines held 2-3 loads apiece.

Fast forward to 2022. I recently bought an overstuffed king size winter comforter that's too large to fit in my washer and dryer. No problem, I thought, I'll just take it to a laundromat and use their bigger machines every so often, and it'll only cost me a few dollars and an hour of my time.

So I show up at the local laundromat yesterday for the first wash of the new comforter, and discover that the comforter is too big to fit into their normal machines that are apparently designed to hold just 1 load of laundry. Even these standard washers are $5 to wash a single load of normal laundry, and then another $2.50 to dry it. That's $7.50 for each load of normal laundry!

They do have extra capacity machines that fit my comforter. The thing is, it's Twelve Freaking Dollars to wash in their extra capacity washer. And then $5 to dry in their extra capacity dryer.

$17 to clean a single comforter. Absolutely ridiculous. After about 8 rounds of cleaning, I'll have spent more on cleaning the damn comforter than I did to buy it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy a comforter cover/duvet and wash that instead when you get it dirty?
And how are you getting a comforter that dirty that often? It seems an unusual frequency (8 times) to me.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to a laundromat in years, but I remember the same pricing as you. $7.50/load seems absurd.

But, the bigger puzzler for me is why you're washing your comforter once a month? I'll wash mine once a year (whether it needs it or not). Granted, I use a top sheet, so it doesn't get funky.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
Why not just buy a comforter cover/duvet and wash that instead when you get it dirty?

I do have a duvet cover for it, but my large (130+ pound) dog sleeps on the bed basically all day and all night, so even with a cover the comforter inside starts to smell like dog.

Maybe I need a sacrificial blanket to put on it during the day, to at least reduce the dog funk by 50%. A cover for the cover for the comforter. Big Grin

quote:
And how are you getting a comforter that dirty that often? It seems an unusual frequency (8 times) to me.

That'd be 8 times over a long period (years). The point was the cost of cleaning comparative to the cost of buying it in the first place.

This was the first time I've washed the comforter.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I also just checked into having it dry cleaned instead, thinking that might be an alternative option. The local dry cleaner wants $40 to clean a comforter.

So it seems like no matter how you slice it, unless you have your own high capacity washer and dryer at home, cleaning big overstuffed comforters is going to be ridiculously expensive.

Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I need to open a laundromat! That’s ridiculous.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Those prices are stiff. I am glad my laundromat days are behind me and with those prices I hope it remains that way. Lovely economy Mad.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
I need to open a laundromat!

As long as you don't mind paying all your bills using quarters. Big Grin

("Dear Mortgage Company: Enclosed, please find 6243 quarters, which should cover my December 2022 payment.)

posted Hide Post
Electricity is expensive and Dry cleaners have to meet environmental standards. There is also the fee to pay someone sit there and make sure no fights break out or vandalism takes place. Running any kind of business is expensive.
On the other hand you meet interesting people in Laundromats. They have Speed Queens right?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Yooper Laundromat is a popular spot for the local "homeless" population. That adds to the experience!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16069 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
No snowbunnies??

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I hate laundromats. Whenever I go anywhere I either rent a place with a clothes washer/dryer or I send the clothes out to be done.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Have you explained to the dog why he shouldn’t get on the bed?

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Have you explained to the dog why he shouldn’t get on the bed?

He's allowed on the bed.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
They have Speed Queens right?

Nope. The machines were Heubsch brand.

posted Hide Post
My wife washes my son's comforter occasionally and spreads it out over the kitchen table to air dry .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope. The machines were Heubsch brand.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In that case find another Laundromat. Maybe one in an upscale neighborhood.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Upscale neighborhoods don't tend to have laundromats... That's like trying to find a pawn shop or a check-cashing service in an upscale neighborhood.

posted Hide Post
They do here. But our area has always been more mixed use. Different than Chicago or New York.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Upscale neighborhoods don't tend to have laundromats... That's like trying to find a pawn shop or a check-cashing service in an upscale neighborhood.

Exactly the way it is here in my neighborhood. We have neither.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are a resort area so I guess things are different. I just never thought about it much.