SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sprinkler head concrete donut guards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sprinkler head concrete donut guards Login/Join 
posted
I have no idea the actual title. The little concrete donuts that you put around a sprinkler head to protect them from mowers, cars, etc.

I just spent a bit over 7 grand adding French drains, 55 gallon sump, sump pump, taking my downspouts out to the street, etc. Florida rains demonstrated I had a drainage issue on the north side of my house so I bit the bullet and kind of went overkill.

Since this is now complete I started fixing all my sprinkler heads, adjusting them, hell in some cases finding them. lol.

I have always used those green concrete donuts. I started looking on Amazon and other places. They want 25 bucks PER donut. It is concrete. In a circle. Even walk in stores wanted 15 bucks apiece. I needed a dozen more. I ended up at Lowes where for 1.78 apiece I got a much less refined version. This one looks like I made a mold, a bad mold, and made octagon donuts. They work though so who cares. How can a green concrete donut cost 25 dollars though? I know shipping is part of that but 25 bucks?

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t know about the other vendors you checked, but Amazon hasn’t been the low cost leader for a long time. Wife and I like Blackberry Patch syrups for pancakes, ice cream, etc. Fresh Market sells it for 5 or 6 dollars while Amazon wants over $13 for the same bottle and goes up from there. But, you do get “free” shipping, so it’s a great deal!!!

Posts: 1225 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
For $15 a piece, I think I'd cast my own. Amazon has 20 - 6 1/2" diameter, 2" deep aluminum foil pans for $10. Hot glue some 3" PVC in the middle of each and pour in the concrete.

You could get a ring mold pan and have them be smooth, but you'd be casting them one at a time.

Posts: 11711 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, my lazy ass bought the rough ones. They work fine but the difference in the quality of the old green concrete ones and these is astounding. I figured 2 bucks apiece not 25.

I actually find Amazon is cheaper for most things. Combined with I get most things the next day I can pretend to hate them but they are hard to beat.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lowes has some for $6.98 each. Brand is concretedonut.com.

I use the plastic guard for those next to the sidewalk and driveway. These would be great for the heads in yard.

Thanks for spending my money again.
-TVz

Posts: 435 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could make your own for little cost. Search for diy concrete sprinkler head donut. Concrete in an angel food cake pan is what I found. When I drove a ready mix truck we dumped a lot of leftovers on the ground. Some sweet old lady used to come by and take a few shovels for making bird baths. She also used to bring some brownies as a thank you.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TVzombie:
My Lowe's has some for $1.98

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23714 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. That rough looking one for 1.78 are the ones I bought. Work fine just much rougher than the ones I’ve used previously not that it matters for its intended use.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Don’t know about the other vendors you checked, but Amazon hasn’t been the low cost leader for a long time. Wife and I like Blackberry Patch syrups for pancakes, ice cream, etc. Fresh Market sells it for 5 or 6 dollars while Amazon wants over $13 for the same bottle and goes up from there. But, you do get “free” shipping, so it’s a great deal!!!

Amazon has always been expensive for any food items. I don't think it's their core business and it shows plus a lot of those thing weigh quite a bit and cost a lot more to ship.

Posts: 34726 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by TVzombie:
My Lowe's has some for $1.98

Yep couple of bucks at Lowes or Home Depot, probably even Ace Hardware. Have them on the ones near traffic, driveway, road, sidewalks.. They are rough, but for two dollars you can't expect perfection.

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post