SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If you're going to use the latest buzzword at least learn what it means
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you're going to use the latest buzzword at least learn what it means Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Gaslighting, from the movie Gaslight, is being used frequently lately by people who think they are on the cutting edge of the latest phrases. They seem to think it means arguing someone out of their own beliefs.

In fact it refers to a form of psychological manipulation that is intended to make the person think they are losing their mind. They end up questioning their own judgment. A form of brainwashing.

Which reminds me about the word systemic. Biden is going to root out systemic racism. No, actually he's not. If something is systemic it's inherent. It's throughout the whole. Probably a more accurate use of the word is to say that with some people, stupidity is systemic.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have high expectations of the American public. Speaking proper English is a lost art.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You have high expectations of the American public. Speaking proper English is a lost art.

It's a systemic problem.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Yep, just like loose for lose. It's a lost cause.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Systemic racism hasn't existed in the white community since around the 60s or so.

It does exist in the black community however.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Systemic racism hasn't existed in the white community since around the 60s or so.

It does exist in the black community however.

If racism was truly systemic in whites during the 60s, it would still be there today. That's a good example of the misuse of systemic.

NRA Life Member

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Oh boy! Another misused words and phrases thread!

(Just messin' with ya, RogB Wink.)

Can we do "begging the question" again? Even though that one's been mentioned here numerous times, even SF's membership is still Getting It Wrong {*}.

{*} That should probably be "wrongly" to be syntactically correct.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Uhm, can I ask a question here? Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

I bet you can! Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
For all intensive purposes, it is what it is.

Please note, this does not cover any non-intensive purposes.

Razz

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I noticed that. No one consumes classic literature anymore. Sad, cause it is an awesome movie.

People are literally too stupid to breathe. Hahaha.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

It's a systemic problem.

Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water at the kabuki theatre.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Ha. I sea what you did their.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Yeah, I noticed that. No one consumes classic literature anymore. Sad, cause it is an awesome movie.

People are literally too stupid to breathe. Hahaha.

Nowadays they're too stupid to breath.

Misuse of 'breath' for 'breathe' was a specific one I was going to mention.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
^^^^ Ha. I sea what you did their.

A twofer in one sentence!

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
I'm trying to overlook these issues. In the past I've been a bit of a grammar Nazi, but it's hard. It especially bothers me when "journalists" use the wrong word, spell it wrong, etc. I do have blood pressure issues, though, so I try.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like the "rules" for journalists now force them to say "film" for recording video on a smart phone, and "tape" for recording audio on a smart phone. They are all doing in uniformly now.

Gaslight is a good example of common misuse. Lying is not gaslighting. Making someone disbelieve their own direct observations of their environment and believe in a false narrative IS gaslighting.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Your crazy!

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Of course you can, but may you is the proper question.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LtsAv8
posted Hide Post
That is the issue in western society now, the redefinition of terms and words from what they really mean to distorted meanings. It is right out of George Orwell's 1984.

P220R3, SP2022 (9MM), P2000SK (9MM), P320 Carry (9MM), G17 Gen 5, G19 Gen 5

Posts: 148 | Location: The Metoplex, TX | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post