SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What's with Diet COKE?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's with Diet COKE? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I don't understand the appeal of consuming such a chemical let alone enjoying the synthetic "taste" of it.
I'd just as soon drink dishwasher detergent.

That’s nice. Some of us don’t understand the appeal of consuming solvent that makes people act stupid.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Tastes the same as it always did. Is now when you realize YOU GOT DA RONA!!!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I don't understand the appeal of consuming such a chemical let alone enjoying the synthetic "taste" of it.
I'd just as soon drink dishwasher detergent.

That’s nice. Some of us don’t understand the appeal of consuming solvent that makes people act stupid.

That too is nice.
I assume you're speaking of alcohol of which I agree should be avoided.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diet Coke is the 1980s "New Coke" formula when they changed from Cane sugar to corn syrup.

Enough people actually liked that communist swill so they used it for diet coke.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic15al:
Diet Coke is the 1980s "New Coke" formula when they changed from Cane sugar to corn syrup.

Enough people actually liked that communist swill so they used it for diet coke.

You've got it backwards.

Coca-Cola started using high fructose corn syrup in 1980, initially as a 50/50 blend with cane sugar, and by 1984 they had completed the switch over to 100% corn syrup for US production.

Diet Coke was released in 1982.

New Coke was released in 1985. It was partly based on the Diet Coke formula, just using full-calorie corn syrup instead of the zero calorie aspartame (Nutrasweet) artificial sweetener that's used to make Diet Coke "diet".

So basically, you have Diet Coke's recipe to blame for New Coke, not the other way around, and the switch to corn syrup in all Coca-Cola production predated New Coke. There's no doubt New Coke was a massive flop, but it's not the root of all evil, rather the end result. Wink

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Diet Coke and drink plenty of them. I know it's bad, but it is my only vice. If you got one that tastes bad, it was probably old, I think they have a 3-4 month shelf life.

Posts: 416 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

It only makes people act stupid if they overindulge.

All things in moderation.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Wife is hopelessly addicted to it. Pretty common in the military too.

She could participate in a study to see what it does to you. Maybe it increases clutter tendencies.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I can handle a Coke Zero but Diet is dog piss

Coke Zero is surprisingly good!

JP

Amen. I think that I am in love with Coke Zero!

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:
I love Diet Coke and drink plenty of them. I know it's bad, but it is my only vice. If you got one that tastes bad, it was probably old, I think they have a 3-4 month shelf life.

This is my guess.

A few months ago I was at a hotel in NYC and ordered a Diet Coke from the bar. I watched the guy pour it into a glass from a can (since for some reason a lot of places in NYC don’t do fountain drinks) and when I took a drink it was carbonated, but tasteless. Turns out it expired in August 2019.

The manager tried to blame it on the pandemic but I reminded them that wasn’t until early 2020.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I've never figured out why anyone drinks Diet Coke. I can understand regular Coke, even though we don't drink it, but Diet Coke seems like one of those crappy replacement foods like when the vegans try and make fake meat. It tastes horrible, and it's probably not healthier. Coke Zero is much better if someone really wants a sugar free Coca Cola replacement. I can't figure out why it hasn't completely replaced Diet Coke. I guess it's like why Sweet'N Low is still in business when better tasting products like Equal and Splenda are available.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Coke is, and always will be, on my boycott list after there woke, anti white stance.
Right up there with the Salvation Army!

And that’s why it’s referred to as Woka Cola.

Coke Zero tasted much better than Diet Coke. I think Diet Coke has a nasty, chemical taste.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
I've never figured out why anyone drinks Diet Coke. I can understand regular Coke, even though we don't drink it, but Diet Coke seems like one of those crappy replacement foods like when the vegans try and make fake meat. It tastes horrible, and it's probably not healthier. Coke Zero is much better if someone really wants a sugar free Coca Cola replacement. I can't figure out why it hasn't completely replaced Diet Coke.
<snip>

Re:
“I've never figured out why anyone drinks Diet Coke.”
“I can't figure out why it hasn't completely replaced Diet Coke.”

I’ve never figured out why some people can’t understand that taste is a matter of personal preference.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I’ve never figured out why some people can’t understand that taste is a matter of personal preference.

Yeah, I'm never going to get it. My taste in music and movies is equally biased. I'll never figure out why certain things are popular. I guess if people are buying it, that's all that matters.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
No taste, No flavor?

Tastes like bad carbonated water?

What say?

You just figured that out? Has tasted like crap ever since it came out?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I mistakenly bought sugar-free Sprite the other day and it tastes like stale Sprite. Why bother with "diet" soda, anyway? Either suck it up and drink the regular stuff or stick to water.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That's the same realization I came to back in the late 2000s... I was deluding myself to think that a steady intake of "diet" soda was any healthier. Now I drink water and black coffee, and limit myself to a very small number of real-deal sodas per year as a rare treat (mainly on long road trips).

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
That's the same realization I came to back in the late 2000s... I was deluding myself to think that a steady intake of "diet" soda was any healthier. Now I drink water and black coffee, and limit myself to a very small number of real-deal sodas per year as a rare treat (mainly on long road trips).

About what I've done since around 1970. I mostly hate sodas, with only a couple of exceptions like A&W Root Beer.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I mistakenly bought sugar-free Sprite the other day and it tastes like stale Sprite. Why bother with "diet" soda, anyway? Either suck it up and drink the regular stuff or stick to water .

First, Diet Coke is the food of the gods.

Second, water? No thanks...fish fuck in it.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
well I love Diet Coke. I wish they would bring back Diet Coke with ginger lime.

I hate Coke Zero. I hate Pepsi too.

It's all a matter of what taste you prefer.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post