SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Overuse of the word "Literally", literally drives me nuts!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overuse of the word "Literally", literally drives me nuts! Login/Join 
posted
"I was so upset that Hillery lost, I literally cried".

"The light turned red, so I literally slammed on my brakes".

OK, I give up. What celebrity started doing this?

https://litreactor.com/columns...u-were-getting-wrong

Don't get me started on "Muzzle Brake" vs. "Muzzle Break".

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The librarian said it was literally literal. Wink I still couldn't give a shit what celebrities say even if I were given a laxative.

If your firearm has a muzzle break, you need to buy another one.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I was so upset that Hillery lost, I literally cried".

That is actually a correct usage, given the videos I have seen of people carrying on doing exactly that.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Along with the word ‘Actually’. My 10 year old granddaughter uses it in every sentence.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The worst offenders are those who use the term "literally" when they mean "figuratively", which admittedly does not sound as emphatic.

"I literally went ballistic!" I see, so you launched yourself through the air at 32 feet per second squared? Is your name Super Dave Osbourne?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Does it really drive your nuts?

I'd have to say that I'm skeptical that that is actually what happens.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Does it really drive your nuts?

I'd have to say that I'm skeptical that that is actually what happens.

I identify as a squirrel, so it does happen Wink.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You have invalidated your own premise.

You have committed the sin you protest against.

There goes your credibility. Good work, no one cares what you say now.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I thought you were going to refer to when people say things like they've "literally died." The examples you posted aren't incorrectly used.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
He didn't literally say it was used incorrectly. His OP title is a protest of the overuse of it.
Literally.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Basically, I actually literally understand his post at the end of the day.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
I think the OP got over his skis (not literally).

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I totally understand...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I'm okay with it, as long as they understand the difference between literally and figuratively.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

This one had me laughing out loud.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
The worst offenders are those who use the term "literally" when they mean "figuratively", which admittedly does not sound as emphatic.

"I literally went ballistic!" I see, so you launched yourself through the air at 32 feet per second squared? Is your name Super Dave Osbourne?

Alas, Super Dave has literally died and gone to heaven.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For Real?

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Literally.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Literally, I was just thinking the same thing.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post