SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    waaaa - hdmi out just broke?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

waaaa - hdmi out just broke? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
looks like the hdmi out on my receiver just died. well, at least the video signals. the audio seems to be working still.

Apple tv goes to the receiver. Receiver hdmi out goes to the tv. seems like audio goes through but the video is black - i get an message on screen re: no input signal.

Never had this problem before. I wonder if the receiver is just getting old. Maybe it's over heating? i'll cool it down and try again.

But while the receiver is old, i loved the way it sounded for music. buying an equiv replacement is going to cost a pretty penny for me. maybe i can find something good enough on CL.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
What brand of receiver? I just updated from an Onkyo for the same reason. Check YouTube for things to try. I could have fixed mine by re-soldering a couple of comports but felt it was a good excuse to update. I went with Denon.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Integra 50.6 I think a 2013 model; I got it off CL.

I tried it again after letting it cool down. Seems like it’s working now. But I suspect that this will become increasingly flakey over time.

Maybe it’ll buy time to find a late model integra in CL again.

I love the integra line for music. I didn’t care for equivalents in pioneer or Yamaha. May try marantz or denon if I can’t find an integra. Or just bite the bullet and buy new…

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
If the receiver's HDMI out stays broken, could you cut it out of the video loop (connect Apple TV to the TV directly) and keep the receiver for music only?

In that situation, if the TV has an audio out, you might be able to route the audio signal from the TV back into the receiver as an aux input - that way you could still use the receiver for sound when watching video, without the receiver needing to be involved with the video signal at all.

Posts: 15021 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
You probably tried this but any chance it's a bad HDMI cable. I find the cables to be flaky and keep spares on had to swap out.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We had a similar problem recently. Receiver is twenty-two years old. No HDMI at all. We use digital optical for sound and all HDMI goes direct to the TV.

My wife goes to switch from one app to another on our Apple TV and the sound goes away. "What did I do?" she asked. (She's occasionally hit a Wrong Button and inadvertently switched receiver inputs or something.) Long story short: It looked like the optical input on the receiver had died.

With all I have going on right now I was not in the mood to go receiver shopping.

Checked it again the next morning and it was working again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I didn't fully test the hdmi cable from receiver out. I assumed it was generally okay since audio still seemed to be working. I did test that there was no video output by connecting it to a different monitor but that wouldn't have told me if the cable or the receiver was bad - only confirm that there was no video reaching the monitor.

If this happens again, I'll test the cable more explicitly - but it does seem to be working now. Are there intermittent problems w/ cables? Or if the problem is intermittent, most likely the receiver?

I might be able to use an ARC loop for audio back to the receiver. That may be a decent interim solution, if not permanent. I'll study that more and see if I can figure it out.

Hopefully this isn't an on-going issue - one time fluke.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Are there intermittent problems w/ cables?

There can be, if the cable is defective or only marginally meets the HDMI version specs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
HDMI cables can go bad, I've replaced several.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
yep hdmi cables do go bad, had to replace a few over time.

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
The outer jacket is filled with tons of little wires.

I've seen intermittent issues with cables getting "just enough" of a connection, but then as time goes on the junction gets warmer and the connection fails as the metal expands away on either side from the heat, then working again when things have had a chance to cool down. Now, I was dealing with AC power into some computing equipment, but that doesn't mean it can't (or didn't) happen to your HDMI cable.

I'd replace the cable before I did anything else, repair or replace. Best case scenario you're out the cost of the cable but it doesn't happen again. Troubleshooting 101: easiest/cheapest fix first.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
You probably tried this but any chance it's a bad HDMI cable. I find the cables to be flaky and keep spares on had to swap out.

Happened to me, but mine is a 35' foot run from my receiver. Luckily I have access from attic, but taking the receiver out of the closet and removing the TV from the wall is a pain in the ass.

Reminds me I still need to get my refund from monoprice.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post