SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Misprinted or misspoken scope specs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Misprinted or misspoken scope specs Login/Join 
posted
Am I the only one who does not understand why so many people refer to a scope as a “3 by 9” scope as opposed to 3 to 9 by (fill in diameter)? It really is not that difficult to understand.
I might get a lot of grief for asking but I have to ask.

Posts: 971 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
No, not the only one.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16378 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I never thought about it before, but I believe that as a casual reference it’s just shorthand for what most people consider to be the most important feature of a sight: its magnification range.

Even if someone understands the significance of the objective lens size (and many—perhaps most—don’t), I can see how they would consider it to be of less importance. I suspect that for 90% or more of the situations in which scope sights are used the size of the objective lens makes no discernable difference for the vast majority of users. I have several relatively high-magnification scopes with objectives ranging from 40 to 56mm that I use regularly and I can’t say that that factor is something I ever notice in use.

If, of course, it’s something being offered for sale or we’re making a specific recommendation, then all the specifications are important.

Added:
I reread the original post and perhaps I misunderstood at least part of the complaint.

If it’s the “by” rather than being “3 to 9,” then you’re correct, but it’s just one of countless examples we could cite that shooters and gun owners get wrong through carelessness or ignorance. I sometimes get motivated to express my own rant, but usually just realize that I’m not going to change ingrained practices.
My original comment focused on the failure to specify the objective lens size.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For many rifles, for many uses, a quality 2 by 10 is hard to beat.

Posts: 7884 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund it is the ‘by’ as opposed to the ‘to’. In the end it is a small matter. It’s one of personal annoyance’s I wondered if I shared with anyone. Happy holidays everyone, be safe!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
It’s one of personal annoyance’s

Akin to possessive versus plural.

Posts: 7884 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 2" X 4" is a "two by four"- that's my reasoning.

A 2-4 is a "two TO four".

3x9-40
I'm guilty of it too- I'll say it's a "three by nine".

But I WONT say "clip" unless I'm playing with a Garand! So I got that going for me, which is nice!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8361 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got me fritz.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sure, saying 3 to 9 more accurately reflects that it is a range. But it is written with an "x," which we are all used to reading as "by" and since it doesn't cause any confusion, I don't really care even one little bit.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
Am I the only one who does not understand why so many people refer to a scope as a “3 by 9” scope as opposed to 3 to 9 by (fill in diameter)? It really is not that difficult to understand.

I reckon you don't speak redneck slang. Big Grin

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I bought a scope once that was marked 25 or 6 to 4. Never could get that one sighted in.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5059 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
If you say 3 by 9 by 40, I’d bet there’s zero people who don’t understand the meaning, and that’s really the purpose of language.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I bought a scope once that was marked 25 or 6 to 4. Never could get that one sighted in.

You should have tried to do some more.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

You can only sight that one in if you're in Chicago.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sitting cross legged on the floor might help.

Picture of armme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
A 2" X 4" is a "two by four"- that's my reasoning.

A 2-4 is a "two TO four".

3x9-40
I'm guilty of it too- I'll say it's a "three by nine".

But I WONT say "clip" unless I'm playing with a Garand! So I got that going for me, which is nice!

This. I'm thinking it is a notation problem.

Posts: 261 | Location: NC | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Say one mentions a 3-9 scope? I think we know what they mean.

I have a gun buddy that always mentions a ‘clip’ when it’s really a ‘magazine’. I know what he means.

I try to use the correct ‘your’ or ‘you’re’, but possibly have fallen short at times. I think effect & affect can be tricky too.

The good thing is, if those are your worries, life is good.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
3 by 9 implies it has a range of magnification, 3x, 4x, 5x... up to 9x.

3 to 9 implies it's either 3 power or 9 power. Scopes like that are uncommon and they don't generally jump that far, like some from IOR Valdada for example, they do exist.

Of course I could just be blowing smoke and talking out my ass. Big Grin
You can come up with a reason for anything if you try hard enough and present it like you know what you're talking about. Wink

Posts: 21117 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
"By" means "times". So 3 by 9 (written 3x9) would mean 3 times 9, implying a 27x magnification, which of course makes no sense.

"3 to 9" is ok, but I usually say "3 through 9 by 40" (assuming a 3-9x40 as an example) to eliminate any ambiguity.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16378 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I always say it as 3 to 9 or 6 to 18 or whatever it is.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post