SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hacked gift card
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hacked gift card Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I use a visa gift card to pay for an anonymous (annual) subscription. I bought one with a little extra money because I wasn't sure the subscription would charge for tax or not. It didn't so I figured I could use the extra money to pay for another month or so after the annual subscription expired.

Well, apparently over the course of the year, someone was able to hack my card and use the extra funds.

How does this happen? The card was used online only and only once. Hasn't been touched for a year. How do they use the card if they need to know the card number, expiration date and the CVV security code?

It wasn't much and I'm not going to follow-up. But how does this happen? I imagine that the subscription provider's system is not secure? Or can they be secure and this is happening through other methods?

Pisses me off.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Do the funds on that card expire after a set amount of time, or start costing a monthly fee?

I've seen gift cards that have that in their fine print. Something like: "If there are remaining funds after 12 months from the date of issue, the card's balance will begin being charged a $4.99 monthly service fee."

So if you go long enough without spending it all, your balance eventually gets drained to $0 after enough time has passed.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Do the funds on that card expire after a set amount of time, or start costing a monthly fee?

I've seen gift cards that have that in their fine print. Something like: "If there are remaining funds after 12 months from the date of issue, the card's balance will begin being charged a $4.99 monthly service fee."

So if you go long enough without spending it all, your balance eventually gets drained to $0 after enough time has passed.

True of all the gift cards I've seen.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I received one that had already been hacked

I called the number on the back and they verified the card# and CVV#. They said someone used it to rent a car and they would send me a new one, which they did

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
It does sound like the lack of use kicked started the monthly fee which drained the funds.

Check your card. It should state if there is a fee for lack of use

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Transaction history indicates Msft Xbox. Lots of attempts for various things. But only the transaction that was under the balance passed.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Then yep, it sounds like someone got a hold of the card's information, same as any other stolen/hacked credit card info.

It's most likely that this happened via a breach at either the card issuer's system or at the system of the subscription provider with which you used it before.

Or it's less likely but possible that you have something like a piece of malware on your computer that allows them to peek at your keyboard usage or online traffic and they used that to grab the card info.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I had something like that happen to me with a Starbucks card. I was able to get a new card from them with my balance restored.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post