SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Looks like the NICS is not so instant anymore.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looks like the NICS is not so instant anymore. Login/Join 
posted
Saw a P320F 9mm in the Yooper LGS. Sold as used but box, papers, spare magazine all present and appeared unfired. 400 bucks. I whipped out my credit card right away. Told the clerk I would go eat lunch while the NICS was run on the sale.
Came back in an hour. Clerk says the NICS has crashed and he was on hold with them. Then his computer gave him this message:
Delayed until 8-6-21.
Thats a first for me! Mad Thanks, ATF! No rush, I guess.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just you got delayed, or the whole system is delayed because of the crash?

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
A weeks ago I bought a Kimber revolver at Cabelas. I was surprised how fast it came back cleared. I was mid afternoon on a Monday, may of helped.

I’m glad WI got rid of the mandatory 48 hour wait. At least one has hope of clearing when on a trip away from home.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
About 2 weeks ago I picked up a P365xl from TGS and the check came back in around 10 minutes. Pleasantly surprised as I was prepared for a wait.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No idea what actually went on. And I would hope the guy entered my info correctly. But I have done business with these folks for years without problem. So... Time will tell.

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
It was nice when a Michigan CPL was able to be used in lieu of a NICS check.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, ATF had nothing to do with the NICS check. The programs are run by individual state governments (here in Colorado it is the Department of Public Safety, Colorado Bureau of Investigation). Yes, they all use the national law enforcement databases, but the "go" or "no go" is administered by the state agency having that responsibility.

Every state is different. Some states provide for delivery of the firearm after a period of days has passed without a response to the background inquiry, but (understandably) many dealers will not complete a transaction without the proper response due to concerns over liability exposure. In some states it is conceivable that a simple administrative order to halt all transactions could be done, leaving citizens with no alternative other than lawsuits to enforce their 2A rights.

With few exceptions, a denial or delay allows the affected individual little in the way of appeals processes. Those with very common names, especially when coupled with dates of birth or other data closely similar to known felons or fugitives, may find themselves in the position of proving their "innocence" before administrative boards or appointed officials with very restrictive schedules and rules. BATF has actually instituted a program offering Personal Identifier Numbers (PIN) for those who are known to be affected by such data anomalies.

Of course, all of the federal, state, and local court and police records are only as good as the data input and maintained by each agency. There are countless examples of wrongful delays, wrongful denials, and obviously prohibited persons passed through the system without a blink of an eye.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not know that the state made the check. Last time I was checked was in late March of this year. 10 minute wait.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
In Michigan the call is made to NICS, the state has nothing to do with it. We still have to register handguns purchased but it is a lot easier that it was years ago.

BATFE ruled in March 2020 that a Michigan CPL was not valid in lieu of calling NICS as previously it was due to our state’s allowing recreational use of Marijuana and allowing some misdemeanor domestic violence convictions to be overlooked in issuing CPL’s.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
<<snip>> BATF has actually instituted a program offering Personal Identifier Numbers (PIN) for those who are known to be affected by such data anomalies.
<<snip>>

I had to apply for a UPIN not long after NICS first went live because I was suddenly plagued with delays due to some OTR truck driver in Michigan who shared my name and was a "prohibited person". Took a few months to come back approved, but I've only been delayed twice since then when the person entering my background check either mis-typed my UPIN, or failed to enter it at all (this happened a month or so ago when purchasing my P365). I consider it as being well worth the time to pursue if you have frequent delays!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4577 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Reason # 3,476 why I have a CCW.

We bypass the NICS check.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
Actually, ATF had nothing to do with the NICS check. The programs are run by individual state governments (here in Colorado it is the Department of Public Safety, Colorado Bureau of Investigation). Yes, they all use the national law enforcement databases, but the "go" or "no go" is administered by the state agency having that responsibility.

Every state is different. Some states provide for delivery of the firearm after a period of days has passed without a response to the background inquiry, but (understandably) many dealers will not complete a transaction without the proper response due to concerns over liability exposure. In some states it is conceivable that a simple administrative order to halt all transactions could be done, leaving citizens with no alternative other than lawsuits to enforce their 2A rights.

With few exceptions, a denial or delay allows the affected individual little in the way of appeals processes. Those with very common names, especially when coupled with dates of birth or other data closely similar to known felons or fugitives, may find themselves in the position of proving their "innocence" before administrative boards or appointed officials with very restrictive schedules and rules. BATF has actually instituted a program offering Personal Identifier Numbers (PIN) for those who are known to be affected by such data anomalies.

Of course, all of the federal, state, and local court and police records are only as good as the data input and maintained by each agency. There are countless examples of wrongful delays, wrongful denials, and obviously prohibited persons passed through the system without a blink of an eye.

partially correct,

POC (Point of Contact)_ states run the checks thru whatever state agency is set up to do it,

in Va, we use VChek thru the VA State Police

they still use the NICS system, and it was down for a bit yesterday,
if NICS is down, then no one is getting approved

and yes, a lot of states are different, some have no system in place (dealer dials up the NICS/FBI system (not ATF) or skips it with a CCW,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update: Approved today. Gun is home now. Still no idea what the problem was.

posted Hide Post
I joined the ranks as well on my Wed. Purchase of a 365 Tacpac. Always get approved in relative short order but this time , Delayed! Oh well. Picked up the next morning. In WV it is claimed that your CCW will allow you to bypass NICS however no dealer I ever spoke with will honor that.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I bought a Ruger American Compact. Went to lunch while they ran the check and when I came back to the store, I was approved. Worked fine for that purchase, anyway.

posted Hide Post
I bought a Glock 43 this afternoon . Filled out the 4473 , handed him my Credit Card , DL , and Concealed Handgun Permit . Ten minutes later we're headed for the door . Big Grin

Posts: 4048 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
CCW here in S.C. is the only reason I can buy a gun from an FFL. FBI will deny me in a minute..... because I grew a maryjane plant in college back in... 1978.

The really ironic part is they don't think I should be able to buy a gun but they will let me into the White House and the Oval Office.
(Slick Willie and I have something in common but I can't post it here, but it is a great joke)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post