SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cow stepped on my foot. Profanity inside.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cow stepped on my foot. Profanity inside. Login/Join 
posted
Holy fuck that hurts! Not the first time, won't be the last but damn. At least it was one of the smaller cows (aprox 1000 lbs) vs a big one at 1500 or one of the bulls at over a ton. Don't think anything is broken but it is gonna be some pretty colors in the morning.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Stop taking them out on the dance floor until they can dance better. Smile

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my gratefully short dairy farmer career, I was stepped on quite a bit. Kicked occasionally and tinkled on too. But my favorite cow trick was when one would lean over on me and mash me against the stall.
Dairy farming was not for me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Been trod upon, shit on, and slobbered on by cattle. Despite all their shortcomings, I’ve found the company of beeves preferable to the company of most of humanity. Cows are as smart, and generally better natured.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Dad bought dairy bull calves, made steers out of them and put them in a feed lot to get them up to sale weight.

My job was morning and evening chores: Feed them (corn sileage, hay, some grain occasionally) and water them (including chopping ice out of their water tank in the Winter), bed them with straw.

Also had the privilege of cleaning out their "loafing shed" which was an old dairy parlor. That meant it all came out with a pitchfork as there was no room for a tractor.

As a result of all that fun, plus being stepped on, whacked upside the head with shit-encrusted tails, knocked on my ass in the mud and manure, crowded, slobbered on and butted, I learned to hate cows with a burning passion.

When I left the farm, I swore a mighty oath that there would NEVER be a cow in my life again unless it was on a plate.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife is missing her left little toe, where a horse stepped on it, when she was much younger and riding all the time.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:
Stop taking them out on the dance floor until they can dance better. Smile

Ha! Trust me, these ladies are a bit large for me to be dancing with.

PHPaul

That just shows that you are smarter than I am. I could be flying for Delta or United now but no, I thought I wanted to play with cows again!

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that, got the scars.

I worked cows back in college. A friends' parents owned a ranch a couple hours from our university, and I'd go there about one weekend a month and on other holiday breaks, to work, earn a little spending money, and eat some home cooked food. I've been stepped on, squashed against walls and fences, headbutted, peed/pooped on, etc.

Cows are big, strong, and easily spooked/startled. I have a buddy whose father died a bit over a year ago while working cows, like he had his entire life. A cow apparently charged him and knocked him into the air and several feet across the pasture, which resulted in him breaking his neck and back. He passed away a couple days later in the hospital.

Closest I came to being seriously injured by a cow was when we were working one day castrating the young bulls. We were running a group of cows consisting of mothers and their calves down a chute, catching the young bulls in a head gate for castration and letting the others go through. I was straddling the chute above the end section, as being the biggest and strongest, my job was to reach down and lift the bulls by their tails to get their back legs off the ground, to lessen the chances of them kicking the guy who had to go in with the bolt cutters to snip the scrotal connection. So the cattle would run down the chute, between my legs, and either directly out the end or get caught in the headgate.

One of the larger cows made it most of the way down the chute, before getting spooked and somehow contorting itself enough to turn around inside the chute. Her overly wide bulk twisting in the chute shoved the sections of pipe fencing making up the chute out wider, which combined with the fact that it was raining and I was standing on slick metal pipe fencing with rubber boots on, caused my feet to slip off either side of the fencing right as the cow got turned around and charged backwards. I started to fall into the chute and took a startled cow's headbutt directly to the abdomen/crotch, but managed to get bounced (or more likely get tossed) up and over the cow, and catch myself on the side of the chute. Had it gone a bit differently, I likely would have been headbutted forward and onto the ground, to be trampled by the cow as it ran back up the chute.

So I was pretty bruised and sore, and my dangly bits were fairly unhappy, but I was glad it wasn't worse.

I guess it was Karma's way of giving me a taste for what we were doing to those young bulls. Big Grin

Posts: 32486 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
would NEVER be a cow in my life again unless it was on a plate.

Glad you added that last. You could also say on a bun, too..

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post