SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Midway USA
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midway USA Login/Join 
posted
I guess they told me to pound sand. I live in DuPage county Il. Part of my village is Cook county. I’ve been denied purchase of items that are banned in Cook county. The closest part of Cook county is several miles from my house. This is ridiculous. A simple map search could clear this up.
Para, if it’s okay to post their email response to my inquiry let me know and I will.

Posts: 904 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sure, go ahead

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Imagine quite a few online vendors avoid anti 2A states like NY, NJ, IL, CA, or highly restrictive local areas like Chicago, some for legal reasons, many for FU reasons for the area being anti 2A....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am interested to see what they say. Are the zip codes different? I lived in Cook County many years ago.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for gun-owners in your situation. I've seen lots of guys complain about online retailers refusing to ship standard capacity mags &/or ammo to their state or locality.

From the perspective of the retailers, I don't blame them. Better to err on the side of caution given the legal consequences involved. If we were brokering a private party transaction, I'd probably decline you too.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Imagine you open a business. You work hard for years to build it up into something profitable and successful.

Then individual cities/counties/states start putting restrictions and bans on the products you sell. And each of these individual jurisdictions have different rules, many of which are constantly changing.

Faced with the possibility of having your business ruined by criminal charges and lawsuits if you make a mistake and run afoul of the myriad ever-shifting rules, do you take risks and chances and hope that you get it right, or do you err on the side of caution at cost of the occasional customer in order to preserve the business that you've worked so hard to build?

Which would you choose? Which would the average risk-adverse pragmatic business owner choose?

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My village is partly in Cook and partly in DuPage but it’s all the same zip code.
Iron Chef would you really decline a sale to an individual because they live in the next county over from one that has shitty laws?

posted Hide Post
Response from Midway USA:

Thank you for reaching out to MidwayUSA’s President & CEO Matt Fleming. While Matt personally answers many of the emails which come to Presidential comments, occasionally he asks for some help to ensure each Customer gets answered in a timely manner. Matt has asked me to follow up with you on his behalf.

Thank you for your inquiry. The restrictions are based on the zip code for the shipping address. Therefore, if a county shares a zip code with Cook County, the restrictions would apply. I am sorry for any issues or confusion this may cause with ordering. Unfortunately, we use that as our benchmark for the destination restrictions and currently we do not adjust or release any orders based on the address used. I understand the change in your situation due to the development from yesterday has limited the ability to order from us as well. If your state laws should change, our restrictions will remain in place.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

On Behalf of Matt,

Thanks for Your Business,

Nancy

posted Hide Post
I would find trusted friends in DuPage county and handle things that way. Knowing Illinois your friend would probably need a FOID card. Glad I left.

It is a nice polite letter from Midway.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Don't blame Midway USA a bit.

And that's the way it is.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flash, what if they rejected you because of your proximity to California?

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Don't blame Midway USA a bit.
Nor do I.

RogueJSK explained the reason why.
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
If it was a zip code shared with part of California: Yup.

Can you just imagine the amount of additional labor that would go into keeping track of what zip codes cross which legal boundaries and having to do map lookups? Not reasonable in the least.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand that it is more work, more time, meaning more money in wages paid out. I can also understand someone who has worked their tail off to build a business and want to stay away from law suits. But I can send my FOID card number and order ammo. Verifying an address takes less time than a trip to the water cooler or a bathroom break. I’m more than happy to send in a copy of my FOID card but no county is listed on it. If they can spare the time to collect a FOID card, they can spare the time to look at an address.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm with RogueJSK on this one.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Get a PO Box with a deliverable zip code, may be a few miles out of the way but you get your product.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More than likely the physical location for your Post Office is within Cook County. So in effect you are asking Midway to break the law by shipping your order thru a Cook County Post Office. That isn't going to happen. As has been suggested by others you need to find family or friends who is served by a Post Office and residence in another county. Note, there is another alternative, all you have to do is convince the US Postal Service to move your post office to Depage county.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:

I don't have proximity to California, I'm about 300 miles from the border, but if they did I'd buy from someone else and if that wasn't possible I'd move. Guns and related gear are that important to me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'd bet you say $20 that you could find someone even here that would be willing to order the items from midway and then mail them to you if what you say is legal where you live. (I for sure needed to put that last part in.)

Of course there is the extra shipping cost to consider.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I'm with RogueJSK on this one.

+1

To the OP:, I used to live in CA years ago and I did not blame retailers for non shipment of items, even though the legality was borderline. For a retailer, with hip boots on, to wade thru the massive bullshit of murky laws, questionable legislation, is just not worth the headache.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I don't blame Midway, I wouldn't sell these items in your State either

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post