SIGforum
PSA: If you have high blood pressure, DON'T go furniture shopping!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1330033194

May 07, 2022, 02:38 PM
Edmond
PSA: If you have high blood pressure, DON'T go furniture shopping!
We have a double wide Lazyboy chair with leg rest (forgot what that piece is called), bought it back in 2017 and it was $1,200. Was expensive for a 2 piece set but the quality is very nice. It’s mainly for the wife to use. Myself, I just went with a cheap extra wide recliner. It was $250 and if I can get 4 years out of it, I won’t be mad.

I don’t mind spending money as long as the furniture is quality and made in America.

May 09, 2022, 06:46 PM
Fredward
Went looking for furniture about a month ago, a 10 minute trip down the freeway. As we approached our exit, something flew off a semi and took out our oil pan. Finally, after dealing with repairs and rental car, we got chairs last week.
May 15, 2022, 12:34 PM
Tirod
Other than the sofa and love seat, we haven't bought new in decades. We stick to good names, the last two recliners were Lane.

Flea market and Habitat. $50 each time. Her cats have done more damage than previous owners.

My oak office chair was $45 dollars - the furniture guy at the flea market is asking $200 for painted poplar used. I put on newer more retro rollers and fixed the base again, mine could likely fetch $150 now. Our TV holder is a mahoghany encyclopedia bookcase, $45, needed a revarnish from tornado damage. Double hinging doors on the front with scroll work in full thickness cabinetry. Coffee and end tables were Lane, the set for $200. The bathroom vanity was a mahoghany serpentine dresser knocked down to $200, I mounted the glass bowls on top, ran the plumbing 90 out the back to the traps - code. Look it up - you get 18" run from sink to trap and no lost drawers. Just cut a slot out of the back, done. Mirror back is mounted on cleats full width behind. 90's chic.

Saved $2000 right there. Factory cabinets are highway robbery, tropical hardwoods triple it.

We do things with an eye for frugality. Our furniture style is a bit eclectic but growing up in a house full of refinished antiques and then none of the siblings wanting the stuff has worked ok. When you step out of the "interior decorator" treadmill of constantly changing fashion there is some nice stuff out there for pennies on the dollar.

"Observe the masses, do the opposite."
May 15, 2022, 09:45 PM
Oz_Shadow
I wish our LaZboy recliner was power. Even tightened it slowly continues to lay back. Turns tv watching into nap time.
May 20, 2022, 10:45 PM
redstone
Long story short. We got rid of the huge couch. but the old recliner from the guest room was not very comfortable. Wife said, happy birthday lets go get you a recliner you like.

I was prepped for a sticker shock / cant find the right one nightmare.

I suggested we go to BigLots. It was a joke. seriously. They popped up on a google search for furniture stores in the area.

We went to BigLots, I found the powered recliner (that doesnt rock) that I wanted. I could not be happier and only paid out $599.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson