SIGforum
Long articles

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1300016484

August 28, 2021, 05:21 PM
jljones
Long articles
Have you noticed how posters used to be courteous and they would post a couple of paragraphs of an article, with a hyper link, and then post "Too long to post" and now they post 45,000 word stories with graphs, Tweets, and photographs?

Seems this lack of courtesy started with the COVID thread, and now several of the same repeat offenders seem to feel obligated to post 10,000 word unibomber manifestos that are written by vague sites that you have never heard of that has "proof" that COVID was designed to kill off left handed people but it lacks any actual evidence, let alone real journalism or investigation?

And it is not just COVID related topics.

It is absolutely murder to try to wade through these threads on a phone and have to scroll for 45 seconds to get past the article from Billy Bob's Big Bang Emporium and Right wing news site.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

August 28, 2021, 05:40 PM
Orguss
Since the alternative is being taken to a site hidden behind an ad wall, I prefer that someone has taken the effort to post the entire article openly on this site.

Now, if they could just edit out all the captions for the excluded photos...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
August 29, 2021, 01:02 AM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Since the alternative is being taken to a site hidden behind an ad wall, I prefer that someone has taken the effort to post the entire article openly on this site.

Now, if they could just edit out all the captions for the excluded photos...

Much as I hate to agree with this because I get where Jones is coming from, I do. I'll take the hit on page-long posts of articles to skip ads and paywalls. Seems that often enough, I'll encounter one of the posts Jones is referencing, and I'll get to read half a paragraph and the rest is behind a paywall. Obviously the forum member who posted it has paid for the content, but if they're not willing to make it accessible to the article in entirety, why bother?

August 29, 2021, 01:20 AM
bald1
Worse are those that quote overly long posts from others. And many seemingly add nothing because their short responses are buried in the quote often far too difficult and time consuming to try to ferret out.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
August 29, 2021, 06:37 AM
Pipe Smoker
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Worse are those that quote overly long posts from others. And many seemingly add nothing because their short responses are buried in the quote often far too difficult and time consuming to try to ferret out.

Amen! I was going to say the same.

Serious about crackers
August 29, 2021, 06:49 AM
sigfreund
In addition to quoting previous posts that don’t need to be quoted (out of laziness), my peeve are the people who paste in external articles without making any effort to clean up the content. Headers often duplicate what’s in the body, and there are things like advertisements that have nothing to do with the article, but that’s not obvious when they’re pasted in. It’s not that hard: Paste it into the reply block and then actually read through it before hitting “post now.” Again, it’s laziness: “Ooh, ooh; I’m going to post this before anyone else does, but I don’t care how difficult it is to read.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
August 31, 2021, 04:16 PM
sigcrazy7
^^^ Or they could put the page in "Reader View" before doing the copy.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
August 31, 2021, 05:14 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

COVID was designed to kill off left handed people
Eek I did not know that!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 01, 2021, 03:19 PM
jhe888
quote:

Seems this lack of courtesy started with the COVID thread, and now several of the same repeat offenders seem to feel obligated to post 10,000 word unibomber manifestos that are written by vague sites that you have never heard of that has "proof" that COVID was designed to kill off left handed people but it lacks any actual evidence, let alone real journalism or investigation?

It is absolutely murder to try to wade through these threads on a phone and have to scroll for 45 seconds to get past the article from Billy Bob's Big Bang Emporium and Right wing news site.

What I really wish was that people had the discrimination to detect which stories are just propaganda or opinion pieces without any real substance or support and which ones offer genuine and credible evidence of their claims.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
September 01, 2021, 03:29 PM
Flash-LB
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

What I really wish was that people had the discrimination to detect which stories are just propaganda or opinion pieces without any real substance or support and which ones offer genuine and credible evidence of their claims.

It's actually not too bad here compared to some other boards.

There's one I go to that has gotten to the point where they only consider trash sites and the info they have and further state that any legitimate site that's government or mainstream media only publish incorrect data and statistics.

How can your argue with that kind of logic (or lack thereof)? You can't.
September 01, 2021, 03:53 PM
RogueJSK
And please, for the love of all that is holy, if you're going to post an article, don't just click and drag to highlight the entire page, paste it into your post, and walk away.

Some of the news article posts are impossible to navigate as posted, since the sentences and paragraphs of actual information are sprinkled amongst extraneous text from photo captions, ad subtitles, author bylines, website section titles, social media links, etc. that are carried over in your mass Copy-Paste.

Ain't nobody got time to try to piece together your news article from bits and pieces scatted down the page while trying to ferret out what's actually part of the article and what's not.

For example:
quote:
NEWS WEATHER SPORTS CLASSIFIEDS
March 17th, 2021
MAYBERRY NEWS 12 - All the news that's fit to print!
March 17th, 2021
Managing Editor Joe Jones
MAYBERRY, SC - John Doe was arrested today for mass fornication. This is his third arrest for

Photo of John Doe
Photo of John Doe
Play the Mayberry Powerball Today!

mass fornication in the last 3 days. Judge Bishop ruled that

Mayberry Police Car
Mayberry Police Car - This file photo courtesy of Getty Images, copyright 2019.

John be held without bond as he was a menace to

HOT SINGLES IN YOUR AREA ARE WAITING FOR YOU!!

society.

Follow Mayberry News on Facebook
Mayberry Twitter
Engage with Mayberry News on Instagram.
Add Mayberry News on Snapchat.
Click here for news alerts.
Download the Mayberry News App

Take some pride, read what you're posting, and do a little editing. Here's an easy suggestion to start: If there are captioned pictures scatted within the article, then copy just the paragraphs of article text between each set of photos one at a time, pasting just the text into your new post window as you go, so all you're copying is known relevant article text.
September 01, 2021, 04:38 PM
1KPerDay
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
And please, for the love of all that is holy, if you're going to post an article, don't just click and drag to highlight the entire page, paste it into your post, and walk away.

Some of the news article posts are impossible to navigate as posted, since the sentences and paragraphs of actual information are sprinkled amongst extraneous text from photo captions, ad subtitles, author bylines, website section titles, social media links, etc. that are carried over in your mass Copy-Paste.

Ain't nobody got time to try to piece together your news article from bits and pieces scatted down the page while trying to ferret out what's actually part of the article and what's not.

For example:
quote:
NEWS WEATHER SPORTS CLASSIFIEDS
March 17th, 2021
MAYBERRY NEWS 12 - All the news that's fit to print!
March 17th, 2021
Managing Editor Joe Jones
MAYBERRY, SC - John Doe was arrested today for mass fornication. This is his third arrest for

Photo of John Doe
Photo of John Doe
Play the Mayberry Powerball Today!

mass fornication in the last 3 days. Judge Bishop ruled that

Mayberry Police Car
Mayberry Police Car - This file photo courtesy of Getty Images, copyright 2019.

John be held without bond as he was a menace to

HOT SINGLES IN YOUR AREA ARE WAITING FOR YOU!!

society.

Follow Mayberry News on Facebook
Mayberry Twitter
Engage with Mayberry News on Instagram.
Add Mayberry News on Snapchat.
Click here for news alerts.
Download the Mayberry News App

Take some pride, read what you're posting, and do a little editing. Here's an easy suggestion to start: If there are captioned pictures scatted within the article, then copy just the paragraphs of article text between each set of photos one at a time, pasting just the text into your new post window as you go, so all you're copying is known relevant article text.
LOLOLOLOL holy crap dude... ROFL Big Grin

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
September 01, 2021, 06:27 PM
Orguss
Perfectly demonstrated by the above poster.

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Worse are those that quote overly long posts from others. And many seemingly add nothing ...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"