SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So much for ordering a new 2023 GMC Canyon......
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So much for ordering a new 2023 GMC Canyon...... Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
continuous connection where GM can directly monitor your vehicle,

No thanks, I don't need some wazoo in India reporting my use, speed, oil change interval, seat setting, time of day, mileage, etc to governments, insurance companies, marketing people, dealers for service interval reminders.

Its about being connected, obtaining your information and selling it to marketing companies and others for big money.

You may speed from time to time, now nobody knows unless you get written up, but with continuous connection, GM can upload all your data, and sell that data to your insurance company and if you finance they have all your policy information, they can report daily miles driven, time of day, and total miles driven, where you carrier will then adjust and modify your rates based on real use vs the reported use by you to the agent..

Yep. I’m a market maven as it pertains to vehicles. I read the news every day, new models, etc. To the point where if some new vehicle is hitting the market I’ve seen the spy shots 2 years before. Test mule spy shots going around the ring, etc. Anyway, the goal is have 5G or the equivalent next gen cellular in every new vehicle sold. They will communicate to the local cell towers, handoff to the next one as you travel, and there will be an interconnection between all vehicles so in reality all vehicles will talk to each other, report x, y, and z. So say you are in the fast lane speeding. It won’t be a cop busting you, it will be the cars you pass and all of it will be automated.

The other thing they want to do is just lease vehicles. Oh you’re done driving to/from work and getting your groceries? Cool, GM, Ford, etc will use your vehicle at night for Uber type rides. Turning your vehicle into a cab when you don’t use it.

They’ve been cooking this shit up for the last several years. I saw it coming and got my bikes done years ago. Before IMU’s (secondary ECU’s), with a bunch of rider nannies on them such as traction control, lean sensors, anti-wheelie, slip detection, I mean the list is long. The bike mfr’s have said it’s for safety but these systems don’t make the bike much safer at all. In reality a marketing trick for newbs. Oh hey it’s got rider “aids” to help. As if a 190 RWHP should be put in the hands of a newb. All these systems do is enable a better lap time in the hands of the skilled. TC offers benefit, as does ABS, in the rain, but most don’t ride in the rain, and nothing they can invent will beat the well trained and skilled right wrist. TC, and ABS will not stop a bike from going down in heavy rain.

So my point, if there is something you want, get it before this crap is standard or mandatory. It’s coming whether we like it or not. I snagged my truck, a MY2019 Ridgeline the last year before ADAS was standard on all of them. Advanced Driver Assist Systems. It has no lane keep assist, automatic braking, etc. None of it. MY2020 it was standard on every single one of them made. In some cases the base models don’t have any of this crap on them, like the 2022 Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ. Go up trim to get heated seats, better seat material, more features, bam it’s on there by default.

I mention ADAS because that’s the first stage. The next stage is all this connected bullshit. I’ve got a deposit on a car that is coming out and Toyota’s connected services are being touted. Subscription based. I always put in remote start and instead of using theirs I’ll be bypassing that bullshit and putting in my own alarm. Thankfully it’s an optional service that you can subscribe to, but you don’t have to. Like has been mentioned I don’t want connected services because I certainly do speed but it’s out in the country, in the sticks around rural corners. If I got nailed by a connected service, the ramifications for my insurance for all my vehicles would be massive. So just a warning if you have vehicle plans in the next 2 years. You’ve still got options for now to get around this but not for long. For now the shit is optional. Next step or stage is on by default. That’s how they do it every time. That’s how they rolled out ADAS implementation. Optional at first, and standard on upper trims. FMC or full model change, standard. Most do not see this coming. They get awed by the app they can have on their phone that connects to their vehicle or the fancy new iPad sized screen in it. Get your affairs in order or be prepared to buy used. And once people figure this out, used won’t be much, if any, cheaper than new.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
thankfully my 2022 Goldwing has ABS but no traction control, lean sensor, wheelie control, etc.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
To Prefontaine's point:

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Sales will continue to wither until people will only lease.

Hopefully they'll wither to the point where manufacturers realize forcing things on customers results in heavily reduced sales.

Nobody likes being told what to do. Or to buy.

Amen ^

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Toyota wants you to pay to use remote start

Honda as well. They shouldn't be able to advertise these features without huge disclosures

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
When I was truck shopping several years ago I specifically looked at 2012 and older to avoid the infotainment systems and other unnecessary bullshit. My BIL and FIL both have vehicles that never stop beeping and trying to wrest control from the driver. Can’t stand that shit.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Speaking on the nanny stuff. My wife pulled her vehicle into an empty lot with tall grass and couldn't back out because the nanny stuff sensed something was behind her (the tall grass) and kept slamming on the brakes. Fortunately, my savvy son was with her and he was able to turn that off.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Would a Colorado ZR2 be an option? I don't think Chevrolet is doing the mandatory OnStar, just GMC & Cadillac.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^^You better hurry, all vehicles produced after Aug 31st will be getting it. Frown We have a sand colored one in transit

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Would a Colorado ZR2 be an option? I don't think Chevrolet is doing the mandatory OnStar, just GMC & Cadillac.

ZR1 maybe, I really don't want a "serious off road" lifted version ZR2 or AT4X with large tires and reduced towing capacity. And I want interior other than black, preferably tan or brown leather, which I don't believe is available in Colorado.

Possibly the all new Ranger coming next year (the global version is out now in Asia and Australia) or another year for the new Taco or Ridgeline.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks like Z71 or ZR2 are the only Colorado trims other than base & LT.

ZR1 would be a Vette, BTW, not that that would be a bad option either.

Thought there was a Trail Boss trim for the Colorado, too

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not buying the whole “forcing us to lease” nonsense. Car companies want us to buy cars. Lots of cars. Preferably a second and third car. Leasing or ride sharing does not accomplish that. What is their incentive to put themselves out of business?

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't mind optional subscription services, but mandatory seems like a bad move. I actually kind of like Teslas model of all of our cars are equipped with all the bells and whistles you just need to pay "x" amount of dollars for us to push the button to activate them. It allows for you to purchase the car at a lower price point and as you deem necessary or as your budget allows to add on more options.

My only gripe would be at $80k or 100k I think it better damn well be decked out... I'd be upset if I paid 80k+ for a vehicle that I then had to pay for additional stuff...I argue with every dealer I've ever bought a new car from about their "desert protection package" which adds like $1500 to the price for a couple 2 dollar strips of 3M door strips and some wax.. I tell them I don't want it, they say it's already on the car, I tell them to find me one without it, they say all of their cars have it, I tell them I'll go to another dealer that doesn't have that crap, then they end up taking it off the price (I'm sure somewhere I get screwed, but it always makes me feel better)

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
....I haven't spoken with the dealer yet, and I will to confirm, but if true it's no deal. No way I want Onstar even if they PAY me to take it.

General Motors is bumping up the sticker price on many of its new vehicles adding a mandatory OnStar subscription, whether you want it or not.

This equipment is on new Buicks, Cadillacs, and GMC vehicles. And on Wednesday GM said you have to take it for $1,500.

https://www.q13fox.com/news/cu...6e791a1c2c0001d17c20

Last week I got around to asking the owner of the local GMC dealership if the above is true? He grimaced and said "unfortunately it's true and it's costing us some sales". He said he thinks GM is making a mistake but they're only focusing on the profit potential of every GM owner paying a yearly subscription.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Friend in the business is trying to say the 5th amendment won't allow them to sell our private information, he's right they just can't sell the data, unless, they own the data.

No matter how I explain it to him that you are either required to, or agree to contract that away. Part of the new sales agreements will be a TOS on the data where you agree that everything belongs to OnStar.

If you use tech, every software out there, platform, web page, app and now your car will have a TOS, and it won't start unless you agree to that TOS. IF you don't click Agree on your digital 18 inch center panel screen which you accept GM's TOS that will give GM the right to sell all your data to anyone they want including government agencies, your car won't move.

The money of the future is in selling data, not just cars, these things will be the new "hardware" to the "software" just like the computer industry, GM, Ford, et all are incorporating part of the Tech company plans of being data miners and sales.

The $10 billion on OnStar will be nothing compared to the revenue they get selling your info to your insurance carrier, changing your rate to reflect your real world driving habits and distance.

since we're going EV's and there is no gas tax revenue, your vehicle will have a reported monthly use tax, probably by city, county, state and feds based on distance travelled and by what type of road...

Data people, it's all about the data...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:

....Data people, it's all about the data...

Unfortunately you're correct. One reason I won't use Siri nor do I want a vehicle with "OnStar" type ability to gather and report my data. LOL I probably better buy my next new vehicle le pretty soon and make it my last.

rush chairman
Picture of Guy1
posted Hide Post
Was looking at a new Yukon. Won’t pay this $1500. Guess I’ll look elsewhere

Posts: 713 | Location: MS | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
There has to be a way to disable this Onstar subscription. A code to enter, a fuse to remove, an antenna to unplug. So once they drop the price enough to entice buyers back, does anyone have a line on how to disable it once the initial subscription runs out?

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
There has to be a way to disable this Onstar subscription. A code to enter, a fuse to remove, an antenna to unplug. So once they drop the price enough to entice buyers back, does anyone have a line on how to disable it once the initial subscription runs out?

Probably could disconnect the cell antenna to kill it but electronics are so integrated these days there’s no one fuse you can pull that wouldn’t take more with it I bet.

The whole privacy thing at this stage is a bit meh. If you own a cell phone, credit card or use the internet you have none anyway so focusing on this is a bit silly. Especially since many of us are reading this on a cell phone to begin with.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:

The big problem with that is that many of the newer cars will simply cease to work if they aren't connected. Disconnect any part of the infotainment system (which controls most of the car at this point) and the whole thing just dies.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post