SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If It's Not One Thing . . .
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If It's Not One Thing . . . Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Fancy schmancy "Total Connect" (renamed from "Entune") system on wife's RAV4 stopped working. Totally stopped. No connection for phone calls. No ability to do the "MayDay" thing. No response to voice commands, nor to steering wheel controls.

Technicians at Toyota dealer have no clue, they were not able to do anything.
Hurricane moved out. Power back on, refrigerator running, and streets finally cleared enough for one lane of traffic, so time for a Publix run with the Ford Edge.

Mile or two from the house, charging system warning light (red battery symbol) comes on, only a couple minutes from the service shop that does my maintenance, so re-route and pull in there.

His impressive meter reads 9.3 volts. He orders a battery for me, I limp home and connect the charger over night.

Back there today, he starts to remove old battery and the terminal on the end of the cable is badly corroded. Attach new terminal, replace battery, car starts right up and as he is backing it out of the service bay, the same warning light comes on.

Return to service bay, run diagnostics, find that alternator is barely making 11 volts. Order new alternator, will be here tomorrow morning, service guy tells me that it's a 3 1/2 to 4 hour job on the Ford Edge because the brain scientist engineers at Ford picked a great location for the alternator.

Canceled a business meeting, no way to get there, waiting to hear from the other party when he can reschedule.

What's next?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Just stay out of construction zone to avoid pissing anyone off and damn'it when you make it to Publix put your shopping cart up!

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yeah the decision to put an alternator behind the water pump was not a brilliant Idea, almost as stupid as GM's LT1 setup the distributor below the water pump...

While it's out, change out the water pump, you've already spent the labor to get to the alternator, best to do preventative on that now...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Yeah the decision to put an alternator behind the water pump was not a brilliant Idea, almost as stupid as GM's LT1 setup the distributor below the water pump...

While it's out, change out the water pump, you've already spent the labor to get to the alternator, best to do preventative on that now.
Nope, water pump is not that accessible in the Edge. Shop advises me that it requires engine removal, warns me not to be surprised if it pushes $2,000 in labor. For a phuken water pump!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

While it's out, change out the water pump, you've already spent the labor to get to the alternator, best to do preventative on that now.
Nope, water pump is not that accessible in the Edge. Shop advises me that it requires engine removal, warns me not to be surprised if it pushes $2,000 in labor. For a phuken water pump!

IIRC, the non-EcoBoost 3.5 Ford V6 (Cyclone, IIRC) has the water pump inside the engine.
Glad it never gave us any trouble on our Flex.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Remember???

If it's not one thing, it's another...

RoseAnne Roseanna Danna, SNL

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Never fails. I get three things done and working and my kids tell me the taillights on my truck are on. It’s late, so I disconnect the batteries and look at it in the daylight the next day.

Apparently, there’s a little plastic pad on the brake pedal assembly that hits a plunger on the brake switch. It’s about 1/2” in diameter and without it, the brake lights stay on. Of course all of the stores are closed, so I cut a piece of felt pad you put on the bottom of chairs legs to prevent scratching wood floors and stick it to the spot where the plastic piece was supposed to be. It worked for a little, but the felt compressed. I suck three squares of duct tape on top of the pad and I’m back in business.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Trapper 189 had something simular about 1 1/2yr ago..... At about 0300am hours someone loudly knocking on house front door... Found several local sheriff deputies asking about vehicle brake lights activated in our drive way.. After securing my Glock inside the house found brake lights activated and unable to turn off until pulling fuse out of fuse box...Later found the pad on the brake pedal missing just like your incident... did a little driveway enginering sort of like you did and still working for now. ...... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
… service guy tells me that it's a 3 1/2 to 4 hour job on the Ford Edge because the brain scientist engineers at Ford picked a great location for the alternator.

I think at least the radiator fans, possibly even the radiator itself, have to come out. I don't like fixing this stuff any more than you like paying for it.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post