SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Shoes Fall apart so fast
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoes Fall apart so fast Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
I’m getting tired of shoes that are crap and fall apart within a few months. I’m not hard on them and don’t abuse them. I’ve had 2 pair of tennis shoes that the soles are coming apart, a somewhat expensive pair of dress shoes that the sole started separating from the top part, and a cheaper pit of dress shoes that the heel started coming off after maybe 2 months. I guess it’s like everything else- quality has gone downhill. Yesterday I found another pair of running shoes where the sole is starting to separate again. It’s freakin ridiculous.

At least my Merrill’s haven’t failed me yet.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've worn nothing but New Balance for over 20 years and they seem to last forever.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I've worn nothing but New Balance for over 20 years and they seem to last forever.

Same. I have New Balance shoes that get retired to yard duty when I buy a new pair. They last for years. I always buy the American made New Balance. I’ve never had a pair come apart.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3978 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I wear cheap ass walmart shoes around the house and in the yard. I find super glue to be my friend.

Posts: 18047 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoe Goo. Magic stuff. I also wonder what brands you are buying. My shoes actually seem as good or better than shoes in the past. I tend to buy nicer shoes. Ecco, Blundstone, Olukai, Doc Martens, Danner, etc. I have shoes in this group that are over a decade and going strong. I sent back a pair of Danners that came apart quick but I suspect I literally got a lemon there.

Tennis shoes I tend to buy Nike, New Balance, ASICS. They last just fine.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I only wear Merrill, Solomon, and Under Armor. The two former for work, hiking and everyday and the latter for running.
So far they seem to wear at an acceptable rate.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My favorite is a worn out pair of $20 Sketchers that I just can't get rid of yet.
I won't wear in public any more because they look bad but still work and are comfortable.
They don't make this model anymore so I can't replace or I would have. Frown

Posts: 22936 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I have to find inventory for store displays. Some of the shoes we use have to be by a specified manufacturer and completely worn out.
As pedropcola says, Olukai shoes and sandals seem to last for many years as do boots by Ariat and Twisted X. They are well made.
The guys that we have wearing them say that the Mezlan ostrich dress shoes are very comfortable and last the longest.
One guy had them last for about two years. When I gave him another pair and paid him for wearing the ones he had, he said that he also wears them for indoor soccer.

Posts: 9167 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10999 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I've been watching shoe and boot rebuilding on Bedo's leatherwork on youtube. He is quite the craftsman, and he prices accordingly. A boot rebuild is upwards of $300. He rebuilds some high end shoes, and it is surprising to me some of the cost cutting that goes into some of them. He rebuilt some Alden Indy boots and the heel rand, which is a horseshoe shaped piece between the heel and the sole that he replaces with leather, is made of fiberboard, basically paper. I think the heel bases are made of the same material.

I went to a large shoe store yesterday and looked at all the shoes and basically most are cheap crap. I'm to the point that I don't see much value in a few square feet of fabric and some rubber for $100. Luckily I have all the quality shoes and boots I'll need for years, and I seem to get good life out of them.

If you want boots that last and have little cost cutting measures, get high end White's boots. My pair is seven years old and I do baby them, but they look nearly new.

Posts: 7470 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

My collection looks a lot like that except they're all black so they don't show the dirt as much.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy ugly shoes. Then, they'll either last forever to humiliate you, or you'll be glad when they fail. Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
ASICS here. Barely wear them anymore but always got good life out of them.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
ASICS here. Barely wear them anymore but always got good life out of them.

That's all Mrs. Flash wears and she gets good life from them also.

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
I've been watching shoe and boot rebuilding on Bedo's leatherwork on youtube. He is quite the craftsman, and he prices accordingly. A boot rebuild is upwards of $300. He rebuilds some high end shoes, and it is surprising to me some of the cost cutting that goes into some of them. He rebuilt some Alden Indy boots and the heel rand, which is a horseshoe shaped piece between the heel and the sole that he replaces with leather, is made of fiberboard, basically paper. I think the heel bases are made of the same material.

I went to a large shoe store yesterday and looked at all the shoes and basically most are cheap crap. I'm to the point that I don't see much value in a few square feet of fabric and some rubber for $100. Luckily I have all the quality shoes and boots I'll need for years, and I seem to get good life out of them.

If you want boots that last and have little cost cutting measures, get high end White's boots. My pair is seven years old and I do baby them, but they look nearly new.

I too watch Steve from Bedos leather works.
I was in the market for a new pair of dress shoes recently. Being un shure since it has been a couple of decades since buying a good pair of shoes I emailed Steve what his recommendation would be. He got back to me rather quickly and said to look at Allen Edmons.
I bought a pair of Macalaster wing tips oxfords with the leather soles.
Pretty happy so far. Also bought them when they were running a 40% off sale.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2574 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My GoreTex Salomon Trail Shoes just bit the dust after 10 years. $180 for a similar shoe to replace them. Yike!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16114 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I get a lot of miles out of Sketchers. They’re cheap, comfortable and last well. I just bought 2 pair at Costco for under $30 each. I’ve got at least 6 pair.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4236 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Wearing shoes that are made for business attire, suits and occasional formal wear, I have found Allen Edmonds and Cole Haan are reasonable and last long, more expensive but last awhile are Bruno Magli.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had these shoes before and they wore well but my new New Balance 623s fell apart after 6 months! Used them pretty much only for walking the dog. Soles detached from both shoes about the same time. I used some GOOP to glue them back to working form, but damn. These were made in Indonesia. The top of the line NB, made in USA prices are outrageous in my opinion.

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Most last incredibly well if you consider they are made by 6 year old asian children.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post