SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate Apple can't add people to a group text
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate Apple can't add people to a group text Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
Fucking Apple says scroll down and hit the + sign to add someone. Well that would be fucking great if my phone displayed the fucking + sign. If I didn't hate Android phones so bad I would switch back.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Group text? Sounds like something hippies would do.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Group text? Sounds like something hippies would do.

My father recently had a heart attack at 87 and is currently in the hospital. It is for all my siblings and grandchildren.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
You are correct, it is a weird limitation.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
My father recently had a heart attack at 87 and is currently in the hospital. It is for all my siblings and grandchildren.

humor - noun

hu·​mor ˈhyü-mər

a : that quality which appeals to a sense of the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous : a funny or amusing quality

b : the mental faculty of discovering, expressing, or appreciating the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous : the ability to be funny or to be amused by things that are funny

c : something that is or is designed to be comical or amusing

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

humor - noun

hu·​mor ˈhyü-mər

a : that quality which appeals to a sense of the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous : a funny or amusing quality

b : the mental faculty of discovering, expressing, or appreciating the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous : the ability to be funny or to be amused by things that are funny

c : something that is or is designed to be comical or amusing

Sorry, not in a light hearted mood at the moment.

posted Hide Post
Email sent

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Select 'new message', in the window that opens tap the + sign on the right of the 'to' field to add names from your contact list, repeat to add more names. When you have all the people you want in the 'to' field, tap in the message body to start typing the message.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I had 7 people in the group, needed to add one more. Still don't see anything that lets me do it.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had 7 people in the group, needed to add one more. Still don't see anything that lets me do it.

It will only work if everyone in the group is on an iPhone, otherwise you’ll have to start a new text thread. Trust me, I’ve spent hours investigating this over the past year.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Probably because not everyone in your group is on an iPhone. You just need to create a new group and add all 8 people to that one.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:

Probably because not everyone in your group is on an iPhone. You just need to create a new group and add all 8 people to that one.

That is what I did, you would think in this day they could make things work between different types of phones. So fucking stupid.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

posted Hide Post
I hate that I can't leave group texts!

And here I am, stuck with 27 idiots that all believe they need to respond to something innocuous.
Beep-beep
Beep-beep

Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Beep-beep

Beep-beep
Beep-beep

Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Beep-beep

Beep-beep....

My pocket sounds like a patient crashing in an ER room.
Mad

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I just went to a text with multiple people and tried to add more.

At the top of the screen it shows the people already in the list. I clicked on that (well touched with my finger) and that brought up another screen. In that new screen, it listed the current people and has an arrow on the right side. I clicked on that, and the new screen has a "+ Add Contact" button. I clicked on that and a new screen opened up to where you add additional contacts.

I am on an iphone.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I just tried what Gene said. Everything was the same for me until I got to the last step. I did not get an option to add a contact.

The group that I used for this experiment is a group of two people, my wife, who uses an iPhone, and my son, who uses an Android.

Thinking about it, there are three likely possibilities for the make-up of the existing group:
  • All iPhone users

• All Android users

• A mix of iPhone and Android users
I did not try Gene's method with all three combinations, just with the mix. Ronin1069 probably has the correct answer.

Question for Gene: was everybody in your experimental group an iPhone user?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

And here I am, stuck with 27 idiots that all believe they need to respond to something innocuous.
Beep-beep
Beep-beep

Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Beep-beep

Beep-beep
Beep-beep

Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Beep-beep

Beep-beep....

My pocket sounds like a patient crashing in an ER room.
Mad

Change your text notification sound to Sherwood Forest and yell "Release the hounds!” every time you hear it.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I just tried what Gene said. Everything was the same for me until I got to the last step. I did not get an option to add a contact.

The group that I used for this experiment is a group of two people, my wife, who uses an iPhone, and my son, who uses an Android.

Thinking about it, there are three likely possibilities for the make-up of the existing group:
  • All iPhone users

• All Android users

• A mix of iPhone and Android users
I did not try Gene's method with all three combinations, just with the mix. Ronin1069 probably has the correct answer.

Question for Gene: was everybody in your experimental group an iPhone user?

Yes, so it looks as if Android and Apple are not playing well together.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It’s because Apple groups live on iMessage servers. When you add an Android user, it must make the group a SMS group, so the existing thread won’t continue as is. Yes, it sucks. Too bad Android users aren’t able to use IMessage resources, but I guess it’s not so simple. iMessage does way more than the SMS system does.

When a group chat’s notifications become annoying, you can silence just that group. Swipe left on the group and select the little bell with a line through it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or do what I have with family ones, etc. From Messages screen partially swipe left which reveals Delete and Mute. Press Mute and you can still see content but alerts are silenced. Don't swipe completely left or you'll delete thread.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Really dumb question, but does the bell with the slash mean it's already muted, or does that mean I'm muting it by pressing it?

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post