SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Muh Rahts" (My Rights) people
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Muh Rahts" (My Rights) people Login/Join 
posted
We have a young, but effective state-level pro-2A organization. They do great work. Their social media discussion page, however, is a dumpster fire.

The only rules they have asked people to follow on the page are 1) No Profanity and 2) Be Nice. The former is because kids are welcome. The latter is because they are trying to grow the organization.

For some reason, there are folks that these requests are too much for. Not only can/will they not do as requested, when anyone calls them on it, they resort to screaming "Muh Rights", "First Amendment"*, Second Amendment", name-calling and "well, this is a discussion page."

Leadership tends toward "don't do this, or I'll repeat myself."

Granted, it's only a handful of people out of right about 10,000 that make it suck, but it's turning people away.

When did "Be Nice" get to be such a burden for people?

*Given that nobody is calling for Congressional action on the page, I fail to see where the 1A applies. It makes you wonder if they've ever read the words.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Never underestimate the stupidity of people. Every time you think you make something idiot-proof, evolution serves up a better idiot.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
Not only can/will they not do as requested, when anyone calls them on it, they resort to screaming "Muh Rights", "First Amendment...

*Given that nobody is calling for Congressional action on the page, I fail to see where the 1A applies. It makes you wonder if they've ever read the words.

Lots of people seem to have that misconception. They fail to grasp that the Bill of Rights puts limits on the government, not on private citizens/companies/etc.

You even see that around here from time to time.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Lots of people seem to have that misconception. They fail to grasp that the Bill of Rights puts limits on the government, not on private citizens/companies/etc.

This. It amazes me how many intelligent people do not understand this.

Ultimately, if the board management continues to take the “don't do that or I'll repeat myself” approach the same people will continue to behave badly. They can say that the behavior is unacceptable all day long but until they refuse to tolerate the behavior it will continue.

You said it’s only a handful of members. If the offending accounts were deleted and the e-mails were banned, I bet that when they signed back up under a different e-mail account they would follow the guidelines better. If not the first time then eventually.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3855 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
Their social media discussion page, however, is a dumpster fire.

Not surprised. I don't think I have seen one social media discussion page that isn't a dumpster fire. I used to belong to around a dozen that crossed various topics but now I am down to one only because it's funny and no one takes themselves too serious (shitbox nation).

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Most social media is a dumpster fire.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post