SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Worth of Various Brands
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Worth of Various Brands Login/Join 
posted
We all have our favorites concerning gun brands. I remind people, however, that no gun, in truth, regardless of cost, is a "turd." (Possibly excepting the Remington R51.) Most guns, even brands we don't respect, have their uses and values. A Hi-Point may be considered a "junk" gun, but it is of great value to a dishwasher walking home through an alley at night. It may only last for 800 to 1000 rounds, but that might be enough for someone who needs it. The same can be said for most guns. If they go bang, launch in a fairly straight line, and will hit a man-sized target at 7 yards, someone needs it. I wish nearly everyone could afford a Sig, but sadly, that's just not true. We all have to get, practice with, and use the best gun we can afford. If that's a lesser known brand, so be it and I hope it will work as intended if needed.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Regardless of ones favorite brand, one day, they will own a Glock....

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
It's only a turd if it's not reliable. If you can't count on it when you need it, it's not worth buying.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The gun that I owned that received the most ridicule:
My H&R 929.
Great gun! I paid $40 for it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't look down at anyone's choice of brand for their gun; it's not my money they used to buy it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pure speculation on my part as I have zero experience with a Hi Point pistol. However is it safe to say that a Hi Point is a big step up from a Jennings/Bryco or Lorcin? No experience with these either.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our IDPA club has a "found" gun stage from time to time. One of the guys that sets up some of the stages has a Hi Point that he got because a fellow employee owed him some $$ & that was the only way he could collect. He uses the Hi Point as the "found" gun sometimes just to piss us off. The trigger sucks and it weighs too much but if you do your part out to 5-7 yards it is accurate enough to keep your hits zero down.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
A member of my weekly shooting group who passed away around 3 years ago, had a ton of money but owned and shot nothing but Hi Point and Kel-Tec handguns.

To those who told him they were junk, he invited them to his lane at the range and told them to pick whatever they wanted to try and shoot it.

I was one of them. Shot a Hi Point. It was flawless, as were all of his guns.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I used to be a SIG and HK snob but have changed my tune in recent years. While I still have my two favorite SIGs, a P226 and P225 (both old-school West German), I now own more Ruger arms, both pistol and rifle, than any other brand! I also recently picked up a Taurus .357 revolver just for the heck of it as their revolvers seem to be much better than their semi-auto pistols.

I also have two Rossi revolvers, a .38spl that I bought new back in the late '70's (and still looks new), and a stainless .22 that I got about 3 years ago, and both have been 100%, despite being "cheap" firearms!

When money is tight I will choose Ruger over most anything else, and my favorite LGS is an award winning Ruger dealer due to the quantity that they sell, so that helps. Big Grin

Edit to add: I have also made the SIGs into "safe queens" and only use them at the range. Anything I use for self-defense, either home or CC, is one of the less expensive but 100% reliable Rugers. I mean, if I have to use one in an actual shooting and it ends up in evidence for who knows how long, I don't want it to either disappear because it's collectible, or come back scratched up or worse due to mishandling. With the Rugers I wouldn't care near as much... Just my 2¢ worth.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bronicabill,

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
When money is tight I will choose Ruger over most anything else...

I've come to share your philosophy over the last few years. Ruger doesn't break the bank and is very reliable. I'm still a Sig snob, but carry a Ruger.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remind people, however, that no gun, in truth, regardless of cost, is a "turd."

Except for every gun at a Gun Buy Back. Eek

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Next range trip I'm breaking out my dad's Sear's model 1 .22 single shot bolt gun. It is as basic as one can have for a gun, and it still has the cheap scope and bipod I added when I was still a student and it was all I could afford. But I do remember it did shoot very well.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Nope

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan03833:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Nope

Ditto. Been a gun owner for 18 years. Never have, never will. Why would I when I can get everything they offer in platforms from other manufacturers that don’t have that weirdo grip angle?

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several Glocks because they work AND (the big reason) I get a huge discount off the Blue Label program. I get them cheap enough that I can carry one in the center console of the truck when I have to go somewhere I can't carry a gun.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by dan03833:

Nope

Ditto. Been a gun owner for 18 years. Never have, never will. Why would I when I can get everything they offer in platforms from other manufacturers that don’t have that weirdo grip angle?

Same here. While I admit to having been tempted a time or two with my LGS's frequent good deals on LEO trade-ins, I just cannot bring myself to do it when everything Block offers is available from other brands (for me, Ruger is my choice for "inexpensive yet reliable"), and without that weird grip angle!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Glock hater, but I'm not a fan either. I've got a G17 that I shoot from time to time, but that's it.

OTOH, Mrs. Flash is a big Glock fan. She owns 4 of them and shoots them on a regular basis. It's also her carry gun, the G42 at this time, but she carries the G26 from time to time.

One nice thing about Glocks is that I can do reloads for them that make them eject at 4:30 in about a 3 foot arc almost every time and are still dead nuts accurate, something that can't be said of a lot of other brands.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
"To each their own" I always say! If you like your Glock, you can keep your Glock.

On the other hand, unless a particular pistol is ejecting brass right into my face or on top of my head, I really don't care where the brass goes, so that is not a factor at all in my gun-buying decision! Big Grin

No offense LB... just a personal observation and opinion! Smile

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
In the 90s I had a Jennings .22LR that actually shot very decently and I can't remember it ever jamming. Also had a .380 that functioned fine but wasn't fun to shoot - very snappy.

They were clunky and unrefined but they worked.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
"To each their own" I always say! If you like your Glock, you can keep your Glock.

On the other hand, unless a particular pistol is ejecting brass right into my face or on top of my head, I really don't care where the brass goes, so that is not a factor at all in my gun-buying decision! Big Grin

No offense LB... just a personal observation and opinion! Smile

No problem. Mrs. Flash is fanatical about her brass not hitting her head or face, so I tune her reloads. Keeps her happy.