SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    4th grade play about Lewis and Clark canceled- Cultural appropriation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4th grade play about Lewis and Clark canceled- Cultural appropriation Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
https://mynorthwest.com/345115...s-with-little-notice

An elementary school in Tacoma canceled a 4th grade performance of Lewis and Clark with just over a week’s notice because of two complaints.

Lowell Elementary principal Renee Rossman informed parents on Tuesday, April 26th, that she was pulling the plug on the play. She said it depicted stereotypes and engaged in cultural appropriation.

The decision caught parents and children by surprise. The performance was set for May 5th.

After receiving two complaints from parents, Rossman made the surprise announcement claiming the play is inappropriate.

“It is essential that our school promote respect for all cultures and people. We must not perpetuate stereotypes or engage in cultural appropriation. After thoughtful consideration along with Racial Justice training at Lowell for all staff, I have decided to cancel the 4th grade performance of Lewis and Clark,” Rossman wrote in a letter obtained by the Jason Rantz Show on KTTH.

Lewis and Clark follow Meriwether Lewis and William Clark as they “discover the Great Unknown West.” It reportedly involves a “hostile encounter” with the Teton Sioux and depicts Sacagawea as she helped the two explore the land.

“I know students have been preparing and may feel disappointed, but we ask for your support as we take this time to reflect, learn and revise our practices,” Rossman wrote.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Horse shit

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Stereotypes & Cultural Appropriation = History BAD, Racism GOOD... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Disney would approve?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:...

...She said it depicted stereotypes and engaged in cultural appropriation. ...

“I know students have been preparing and may feel disappointed, but we ask for your support as we take this time to reflect, learn and revise our practices,” Rossman wrote.

How very stereotypical of her.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lewis and Clark follow Meriwether Lewis and William Clark as they “discover the Great Unknown West.” It reportedly involves a “hostile encounter” with the Teton Sioux and depicts Sacagawea as she helped the two explore the land.
Uh, isn't that what happened? Roll Eyes

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Uh, isn't that what happened? Roll Eyes

The Ministry of Truth will tell us what really happened.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As long as people like the complainers are allowed to exert outsized influence far beyond anything they could actually contribute to society, this sort of thing will only become more common. Until the majority starts to understand that things will only get worse by letting tiny minorities jerk them around like puppets on strings and say, “No, this is what we want to do and if you don’t like it, stay away,” they really get what they deserve.

And what is somewhat scary about this sort of thing is that all too often it takes a single demagogic figure to organize the pushback rather than its happening because a thousand quiet and reasonable voices speak up.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Horse shit

Well said.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hard to imagine not knowing what was out there. Then going out to explore it. That took real courage and fortitude. That bravery should be honored, remembered and respected.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
from the article:
After receiving two complaints from parents, Rossman made the surprise announcement claiming the play is inappropriate.

Two complaints.

Two.

Two whiners cause the tossing out of a kids' play over their feelings-vs-facts fragilities.

Mad

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
“Complaint”
“Canceled”

How many thousands of times do we have to read or hear this bullshit? Hell just cancel everything.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’m getting really sick of all this anti-American bullshit.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who think the American history should be frowned upon, really need think about why they are here. This country has offered more than any other country in history and these nut cases that want to change it into something it is not,need to be ejected from it's borders. It amazes me at how many idiots think the "natives" of this land or any other, did not go to war and take over other people prior. Do they think everyone just got along? It's funny you don't hear anything about other countries-like Spain, many countries in Africa,etc., who have done and still do much worse around the world other than here,because they forget or choose to deny those who came before us and who gave us the freedoms we have.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
from the article:

Two complaints.

Two.

Two whiners cause the tossing out of a kids' play over their feelings-vs-facts fragilities.

Mad

Sometimes all it takes is just one complaint. When I worked in Commercial Radio in the 70's, just one complaint had a song pulled from playlist or resulted in a format adjustment to suit the complainer.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
It amazes me at how many idiots think the "natives" of this land or any other, did not go to war and take over other people prior.

For a graphic account of what one native tribe did to everyone they could get their hands on, I recommend Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History by S. C. Gwynne.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I saw these on meme's somewhere:

HISTORY IS NOT THERE FOR YOU TO LIKE OR DISLIKE, IT IS THERE FOR YOU TO LEARN FROM IT.

AND IF IT OFFENDS YOU, EVEN BETTER, BECAUSE YOU ARE LESS LIKELY TO REPEAT IT. IT'S NOT YOURS TO ERASE OR DESTROY, IT BELONGS TO ALL OF US

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
You need a new principal.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
File a formal FOIA request for the complaints----get names---then have a "chat" with them.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
If I were a parent of an involved student then I would pursue doing the production anyway at another venue without the school's endorsement unless there were copyright issues. It's time for people to grow some and tell the woke bastards to take their business elsewhere. Oblige the majority, not the whiners. The Cleveland Guardians for chrissake.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post