SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Anti-barking device for neighbor's dog???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anti-barking device for neighbor's dog??? Login/Join 
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted
Friend of mine has a neighbor that put their dog outside all day long and it constantly barks. Talking to the neighbors about it has not been successful. Is there any device that actually works? Looking at the reviews on line are mixed.

Good-Life Reviews

Dog Silencer Review

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
City noise/nuisance ordinances?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

It's during the day. If it were at night there may be some recourse.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I don't know about your question C L Wilkins but I can empathize. I was staying at my friend's house in OKC for the last 4 days and his next door neighbor's dogs (2 of them!) woke me up at 5 am daily barking outside Mad Who the hell lets their dogs out and doesn't stop them from barking at 5 am? Eek Thank god I'm home now and don't have to listen to that BS every morning.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
How are you planning to get your neighbor to comply with the dog wearing a device?

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

It's during the day. If it were at night there may be some recourse.

Municipalities sometimes have nuisance ordinances against allowing ones dogs to bark incessantly even during the daytime. I would suggest your friend look into that if he or she hasn't done so already.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Neighbor has a little dog of some kind outside in a pen. The little shit starts at daybreak and barks, just about every 2 seconds, sometimes for hours, I think perhaps until he gets fed.

Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...
Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...
Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...
Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...
Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...
Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...
Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...
Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...Yap...
Yap...

It's not really loud, it's probably 400 feet away and on the other side of a garage so it doesn't wake me but if I wake early, have to get up and pee or whatever, it is quite annoying.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cparktd,

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Dog whistle to annoy it or Buffalo Bill, it rubs the lotion on its skin or else it GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
How are you planning to get your neighbor to comply with the dog wearing a device?

A bark collar was never mentioned or linked to.

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I was thinking a dog whistle and positive reinforcement when the dog stopped barking. (Throw him some treats?...)

Remember, the poor dog isn't trying to piss you off. That neighbor isn't very nice though.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Electric collar. Put it on the neighbor and every time the dog barks, press the button. Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If he lives in a gun friendly area. At the first point in the morning when the barking starts. Have him go outside with the largest, loudest round he has and fire one off. If at 5am, all the better. That will most likely shut it up. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to try a microphone and speaker with about a 2 second delay. Feed the dog's bark right back at him. Although it might be more fun to do the shock collar on the owner Sailor1911 suggested.

Posts: 4809 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
If he lives in a gun friendly area. At the first point in the morning when the barking starts. Have him go outside with the largest, loudest round he has and fire one off. If at 5am, all the better. That will most likely shut it up. Wink
An AR10 SBR should do it.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:

A bark collar was never mentioned or linked to.

So how's that gizmo supposed to work on your neighbor's dog? Once again, seems like you need some cooperation from your neighbor. Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Electric collar. Put it on the neighbor and every time the dog barks, press the button. Big Grin

I'd like for someone to use that method on my hound-having neighbor. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My condolences. I went through the same nightmare with a neighbour who had a Beagle and two other dogs who were fine before the Beagle taught them to bark constantly.
Bylaw officer was useless even though the bylaws state two dogs per residence and no nuisance barking even during the day.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Sometimes there are nuisance rules regarding dogs being left outside all day yapping, day or night.

Call your local animal control / city / etc and ask.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a neighbor that had a German Shepard that would bark at night . They knew the dog was barking and did nothing about it . They were great neighbors other than that one thing . I fixed the problem . Every night when he started barking , I would walk next door and open the gate and let the dog out then close it back . The dog would run around for a while then go lie by their front door till they found him in the morning .
After a week of this they were convinced that he was jumping the fence so they started putting him in the shop at night when they went to bed and let him out in the morning . Problem solved . Sometimes you have to think outside the box ..

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our city has a 10 minute limit on barking, day or night. The police will cite!!! Two doors down they let the dogs out at 5AM, then presumably get in the shower. The dogs bark until they're let back in.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post