SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Streamlight Microstream Sucks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Streamlight Microstream Sucks Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted
I'm a SureFire flashlight guy, been carrying them over 25 years and they all worked and still do work, flawlessly.

I started carrying a Microstream in my pocket for those times when my SureFire was either too much or not enough. It does 1,200 lumens on high and 5 lumens on low but for some tasks it just didn't make it, thus the Microstream.

I bought the Microstream around 5 years ago, probably have around an hour of runtime on it all together. Mostly just a quick on and off when I changed pants after a shower and once in a while I used it to find things I'd dropped on the floor in the house.

Well, I changed pants and checked it as always and it's dead. Put in a fresh battery and it's still dead. Jiggled the on/off switch and no joy.

Did an internet switch and it turns out this is a common problem with the Microstream and people have sent it in to get fixed and it breaks again before long.

So I bit the bullet and ordered a SureFire Titan Plus to replace it. Three output levels, 300 lumens, 75 lumens and 15 lumens. I fully expect it to be just like the other SureFires I have owned.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Surefire lights are generally flawless. However, I'd also encourage you to check out Malkoff lights. I used to carry a Surefire daily, but now I carry a Malkoff.

Small Malkoff Flashlights

It's always about finding the light that has the right output levels, adjustability, size, throw, price, etc. I didn't find the Surefire that checked the most boxes for me.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yes, I’ve been increasingly disappointed in streamlight of late. Particularly for edc. But now that’s spilling over into wml’s. I’m slowly converting all to surefire. I have some surefire already. Never any problems.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My WML Streamlights have been pretty reliable. For EDC lights, I’ve been very happy with my different Fenix lights. I’ve carried the Fenix PD25 for several years with daily use and no issues. My only gripe is the clip. Mine popped off one day and, luckily, the light just dropped into my pocket. A quick online chat with them and a new clip was on the way. At 550 Lume so, it’s fine for me…and they’re on sale for $56.

The Fenix PD35TAC sits next to my bed.

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDHunz:
My WML Streamlights have been pretty reliable. For EDC lights, I’ve been very happy with my different Fenix lights. I’ve carried the Fenix PD25 for several years with daily use and no issues. My only gripe is the clip. Mine popped off one day and, luckily, the light just dropped into my pocket. A quick online chat with them and a new clip was on the way. At 550 Lume so, it’s fine for me…and they’re on sale for $56.

The Fenix PD35TAC sits next to my bed.

That's another big one- finding a light with a decent clip that works for the way I carry it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've had good service out of all my Streamlight lights. My TLR-1 followed into a frozen pond one time, and it still works like new. My handhelds have been dropped, kicked, thrown, slammed against windows...you name it. The only problem I've had with any of them is that the rubber on-off switches on my Strion DS and Stinger DS rub through eventually from contact with the edge of my vest. The cop-shop Streamlight dealer will fix them under warranty, though. It's worth dealing with it to me for the dual-switch capability.

I have a Fenix TK11 and a TK-15 that i tried to carry at work for a while. The TK11 was flaky and would shut off randomly and you had to monkey with the tail cap to keep it working. The TK-15 will randomly switch modes whenever it wants. They now stay home. I've never had those kinds of problems with my Streamlights.

Surefire makes a nice light, but Streamlight has done me well and I've never seen the need to pay the markup.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Streamlights have done well for me. And I have used them in very abusive environments. I have Surefires, too. For me, the Streamlights offer the best bang for the buck.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Have been using a Fenix TK11 since I won my first "karma" here over 10 years ago (actually right at 12 years since I won it just a few months after joining here). It literally gets used multiple times daily, each and every day without fail. The ONLY two issues I've had with it are as follows:

1) A few years ago the button got a bit flaky, but a few drops of "De-Oxit" into the switch made it good as new.

2) As of a few weeks ago, after over 10 years of daily use, the little rubber cover over the button has ripped rendering the flashlight no longer waterproof... but since I don't use it in wet conditions 99.9% of the time, I continue to use it until I decide on a suitable replacement.

Other than purchasing a new pair of 18650 cells to power it a few years back, it has done extremely well for me, and I'll no doubt buy another Fenix some day!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So your sample size of one broke after five years and rather than avail yourself of Streamlight's generous warranty and get it replaced, you made a forum post and bought a spendier light?

Ok.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned and used both surefire and Streamlight. I found that surefire doesn’t do anything Streamlight can’t.

Only issue I’ve had from a Streamlight was my fault. I dropped a strion LED on large gravel and the glass head broke. My uniform shop sent it back to them and Streamlight returned it fixed, good as new.

Never had issue with any surefires. The only surefire I have is a dedicated one on my 870 marine magnum a friend and coworker gave me.

I have several tlr1s and other handhelds.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
So your sample size of one broke after five years and rather than avail yourself of Streamlight's generous warranty and get it replaced, you made a forum post and bought a spendier light?

Ok.

The part you seem to have missed was that I read of others who sent theirs in for repair and it failed again shortly after getting it back.

When you need a light, there is no substitute.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I bought a Streamlight Microstream USB number of years back when ArcWelder suggested them. I like it for a very simple EDC light. Nothing life saving or anything but I hate using the phone as it is cumbersome.
I have given a couple away in karmas here and gifts to friends and family.

Mine now tends to flicker a bit if it has not been used in awhile. But it has gone through the washer and dryer a handful of times so I likely can’t blame stream light.
Though for work I do carry a Surefire.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I guess the biggest thing I have against Streamlight is that they obviously know they've got a problem with the tail cap/switch and evidently refuse to do anything about it and continue to sell a product that they know is faulty.

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
For what its worth, I've had the opposite experience. My Streamlights have been flawless and I've had considerable trouble with my Surefire's. They've always warrantied them, but probably half of my newer Surefire's have needed repairs. Their switches just don't seem very robust. I have a LED Defender that's going to need a second trip back, this time for for a dying LED. It's probably got less than 10 hours of runtime on it total, I just haven't felt much urgency because I've moved away from lights that only use primary cells.

I guess my point is that every maker sends out some duds. Have a backup and let their warranty department make it right. That's what you're really paying for with Surefire and Streamlight, many other manufacturers have lights that eclipse them in performance for cheaper these days.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Yeah, every manufacturer can and will turn out duds, but again, my complaint is that they have a faulty design on their tailcap switch, they know it, and they refuse to change it to something reliable.

A design flaw that remains unfixed is a whole different matter than a dud here and there.

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Big MicroStream user, gave away lots as gifts, gave one to HVAC guy,the co them now uses them.
But my son sent me a OLight i5, and I like it more. Little heavier, but brighter. I’m happy with either one.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of second and third shift cops I know carry microstreams clipped under their epaulets for lighting up licenses and paperwork. Not aware of any widespread problems.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
A lot of second and third shift cops I know carry microstreams clipped under their epaulets for lighting up licenses and paperwork. Not aware of any widespread problems.

Google it. You'll find them.

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I'm sorta sure he's talking about the cops in his department - not random folks on google.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Really?

I have 4 of them, 2 AAA versions and 2 of the USB rechargeable ones.

Never had a problem with any of them. The AAA ones are 5 years old, and one of the USB ones is 4 years old. The other newer.

(I lost the AAA one, bought a new one then found the old one. Same with the USB.)

For what it is worth, I keep it clipped in the "change pocket" of my jeans, or to the right front pocket of my shorts or pants with the tail cap pointing up at the opening of the pocket.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post