SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Disaster & Survival Preparedness    Expiration Dates and Updating Supplies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Expiration Dates and Updating Supplies Login/Join 
Member
posted
Just a reminder to check the expiration dates on your supplies.

-Batteries (non-rechargeable)
-Meds
-First aid items like prep-wipes, iodine swabs, ointments, etc.

Just updated a few kits and I was surprised at how much time had lapsed since I last checked on them.
 
Posts: 5577 | Location: NH | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I hate doing that because I realize that I should have rotated my stock so it got used!!!
 
Posts: 8332 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
How far beyond canned goods dates would feel safe with? Seems like they'll last a lot longer.




SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
 
Posts: 42199 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
No sort of a recommendation, but I have used canned foods literally decades beyond the “best by” (they’re not “expiration”) dates. My rule is that if the can is intact and there’s no obvious problem with the contents, there’s no reason to fear eating it. If there were something inside that was going to poison me five years after the best by date, it would be there the day I took it off the store shelf.

Medications are another matter, and a nurse had a hissy fit when I told her I was taking a (very occasional) pill three years after the prescription was made. The effects seemed to be just as I expected. For something like antiseptics, although maybe not antibiotic ointments, I consider them to be a forever item, especially the primitive ones like iodine. I believe that some adhesives on bandaids can deteriorate and not hold as well after time.

Things like lithium batteries have marked shelf lives, but I certainly wouldn’t throw one away because I’d had it 11 years rather than less than 10.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 50017 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure I have consumed a few cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew that was 5-6 years old, with no ill effects.
 
Posts: 5577 | Location: NH | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I know I consumed many cans of expired potted meat and Vienna sausages in my younger days. Back then a can of potted meat or Vienna’s on crackers made a meal, especially if we were at the deer camp.
 
Posts: 3660 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Pink Spam = Good
Grey Spam = Bad

Doesn't matter what the date is.


____________
Pace
 
Posts: 1670 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
A good place to get replacement medical kit supplies is https://cpr-savers.com/ (no affiliation). they do sell in large enough quantities that group buys can be good deals.
 
Posts: 273 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Disaster & Survival Preparedness    Expiration Dates and Updating Supplies

© SIGforum 2026