Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| On the wrong side of the Mobius strip ![]() |
There was a well-regarded vendor Firesteel.com, but they seem to no longer be taking orders. | ||
|
| Staring back from the abyss |
That would be too bad. I have several of their rods and they are fantastic. Looking on their website, it seems all you can do online is "Add to wishlist" rather than order. Did you try calling them? ________________________________________________________ It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it. | |||
|
| No More Mr. Nice Guy |
I have several, from small to hefty. They work. The problem is with the striker that comes with the rod being either too soft or too small. I use a carbide striker. The Feuerstock rod comes with the carbide striker or you can buy them separately. | |||
|
| Member |
HD6 @ Self Reliance is a good rod. Something's whacky at Firesteel.com. Comparable rod there to the HD6 is showing at $128 ____________ Pace | |||
|
| On the wrong side of the Mobius strip ![]() |
I did not see a number to call. But there is a post indicating they were possibly retiring. https://firesteel.com/3-day-sa...arts-monday-9-15-25/ | |||
|
| Member |
That's from a year ago. Guess they didn't come back. FWIW, I've got a couple of Überleben rods. They're pretty good too. The striker they use is great. ____________ Pace | |||
|
| I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not |
there are pages of them on amazon. I would just buy one as back up to a bic lighter :P | |||
|
| Member |
Pace40 - Thanks for posting this company name. Tons of five star reviews on multiple sites related to this companies products. Gonna order my first ferro rod from this company because I have no clue as to where to start. | |||
|
| Peace through superior firepower |
Yeah, this is a Firesteel Armageddon - 6" x 3/8" I purchased in 2020 for 23 dollars. Before he closed down, he was asking something like three times that price for the same rod. The guy essentially priced himself out of the market. There's just no way to remain competitive with such outrageous pricing. Great product, but come on. Last rods I bought were Bayite. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S6F4ODU | |||
|
| I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not |
the Bayite was the ones I was looking at.. the price is right. | |||
|
| On the wrong side of the Mobius strip ![]() |
I wound up getting two. The Bayite one and a Ferrofire one. Both are sitting at my front door. | |||
|
| Member |
Baylite is chicom company? How about Light My Fire (Sweden?)? "Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book | |||
|
| I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not |
https://fire-fast.com/products/fire-fly-fire-starter taken from thier webpage We've been making fire starters for years now and have used the same raw materials suppliers right from the beginning. We wanted to make a completely USA made product. Imagine our distress when we discovered that there are no ferrocerium rod (also called ferro rod or flints) manufacturers in the USA. In fact they are only made in two places - China or Europe. We looked into the prices and quality of Chinese flints.They were MUCH cheaper but the quality was poor. We got samples from three separate manufacturers and discovered that if you buy in bulk they would cost less than a dollar per flint - sometimes much less. But when we tested these flints they weren’t very effective in starting fires. Later I discovered that there is very little Rare-Earth-Metal in a Chinese flint, and Rare-Earth-Metal is what gives you the hot sparks. Additionally one fifth of the Chinese flint was made with plastic! At that point we dropped China as a potential source of fire starter flints. The same story is true of magnesium rods. After the start of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) that began in 1993 many companies departed the USA. The last company to leave that extruded magnesium (forced the magnesium metal through a die to create a specific shape) was relocated in Mexico. We had a choice of of purchasing extruded magnesium from China or Mexico - we chose Mexico. Most of the fire starter industry (95%) use Chinese flints - because they are so cheap. In most cases the whole fire starter is made in China where labor costs are only 10% of US labor costs and they routinely work longer hours.This means sky high profit even with $10 fire starters. There is also an atmosphere of mild fraud associated with fire starters. What I mean is that many companies use European brand names or a favorite one is “Texas This or Texas That” when most are entirely manufactured in China. If you want to know if your brand is made in China go to ALIBABA.COM and search for fire starters and you will most likely see it there. Manufacturers rely on the fact that many people who purchase their product will throw the fire starter into their back pack or bug-out-bag and never use it. Never find out if it works well or not. The best flints in the world are manufactured in Europe. The company we use is based in Altohfen, Austria. The man who started this company in 1903 is the guy who invented the modern ferrocerium flint. This company has 100 plus years of manufacturing experience, superior technology and make the best flints in the world. They are not cheep. The concentration of Rare-Earth-Metal in the flint we use is 76% (As opposed to Chinese flints at 17% Rare Earth Metal). We use high-resin-content hardwood for our handles, American made hardened steel strikers, American made 550 paracord and 95% pure magnesium from Mexico. The process of “extrusion” - which is simply putting a groove in the magnesium is no longer done in the USA. The groove in the magnesium is where the flint attaches. I don’t know if our Fire-Fast fire starters are the best in the world. But my we have done everything in our power to make them so. We want you to use the tools we manufacture and increase your fire starting skills. Become proficient, some day it may save your life. | |||
|
| Member |
Nice find. Thanks. Dumb question: I have an iwatani torch head with a dozen butane cans. I was thinking these would be good for fires. And maybe the fire steel secondary. Bad assumption or reasonable as long as I’m staying at home? "Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book | |||
|
| No More Mr. Nice Guy |
In addition to an ignition source, one should have plenty of fire accelerating items. Sawdust in wax poured into egg cartons, or a commercial equivalent. It seems like cheating when I'm teaching the grandkids how to make a campfire, but in an apocalypse they will make life a lot nicer. | |||
|
| Member |
I'm a fatwood guy. Easy to store and use and doesn't make a mess left in a hot car. ____________ Pace | |||
|
| Member |
I am also in the "fatwood" camp. One small finger sized piece can be a significant fire starter and accelerant. | |||
|
| Staring back from the abyss |
I use lots of things. Sap/fatwood, wood shavings, leaves, birch bark, pine needles, horsehair lichen, etc.... Vaseline impregnated cotton balls are fantastic if it's snowy and/or wet. ________________________________________________________ It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it. | |||
|
| Member |
What’s fat wood? "Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book | |||
|
| Member |
Or...Home Depot sells it in bags. ____________ Pace | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata | Page 1 2 |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

