SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Disaster & Survival Preparedness    Crossbow for SHTF
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Crossbow for SHTF Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted
As I'm typing this I remembered the dude with the crossbow on the zombie series, that's not where this thought came from.

I don't think a bow would be a good choice for me, I know it takes a lot of practice to be a good shot.

So, would a crossbow be in the hives opinion a good weapon for a backup to the backup and the other backups? Of course with plenty of bolts and repair parts


 
Posts: 7043 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Following this thread. Smile




Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
 
Posts: 9267 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a silenced .22LR before a crossbow.


____________
Pace
 
Posts: 1670 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
It would be good for hunting. if you where bugging in at a rural wooded area with deer etc.

Thats about all i can think of for real utility..
 
Posts: 8332 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
It would be good for hunting. if you where bugging in at a rural wooded area with deer etc.

Thats about all i can think of for real utility..


^^This would be one notable advantage…if a true long-term situation where it actually got to the point of harvesting game for real extended survival…doing so discreetly would likely be preferable…hunting with a firearm/gunfire would bring the wrong kind of attention.

They’re also relatively easy to get, inexpensive (for budget models), and capable.

As they say, you’re only 9 meals away from anarchy.

$0.02 worth/ymmv.


A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.
 
Posts: 5037 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think even with a large supply of bolts, it wouldn't be long before you were out of them. Shooting arrows out and about isn't like shooting them into targets. The "one and done" rate would be extremely high, probably most of the time, if not almost every time.

You could fit 4k rounds of .22LR in the space a dozen arrows with take up.
 
Posts: 22238 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Movies aside, I don’t see a lot of practical use unless hunting. They can be a little heavy, for what they are. Of course easier to shoot well quicker, compared to a bow.

There has been a lot of growth with using them for hunting, as most States opened up them for bow hunting. I have a buddy, on about his 4th crossbow, as they got better. His previous 3 are available to try, maybe buy, he tells me.

If wanting to try one, I think you could get a 3-4 year old model used, cheap. Just an idea if one wanted to dip a toe. The better time to buy is after deer season.
 
Posts: 7592 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I might read up on the brands, the pawn shops usually have a few for sale. Can't hurt anything to have one, might be fun shooting in the back yard


 
Posts: 7043 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It worked for Charlie, though I still can't figure out where she got all of those arrows. Confused


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
 
Posts: 23135 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Disaster & Survival Preparedness    Crossbow for SHTF

© SIGforum 2026