SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Disaster & Survival Preparedness    Investments (in your IRA/401k etc.) for when things go Crayzee
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Investments (in your IRA/401k etc.) for when things go Crayzee Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
It's a weird thing to ask, I know. But I'm thinking somewhere between a complete apocalypse and right now, lies a period of potentially crazy times where we might want to adjust our tax sheltered (read: not liquid) investments to try to retain value through the chaos. The old 80% securities and 20% bonds -- or whatever it is for one's specific situation -- doesn't seem like a reliably good answer.

Any thoughts? I'm guessing shifting into defense and energy specifically, and out of straight indexed market positions.
 
Posts: 11864 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Don't have an answer for adjusting your investment profile per se, but wondering if you've read Patriots by James Wesley, Rawles. It tells the story of a post apocalypse after a global economic meltdown.



ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"Pen & Sword as one."
 
Posts: 18081 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The question could lead to an overflowing can of worms.

Setting any added chaos aside, one could certainly go a little more defensive into retirement. How much can depend on age, life expectancy, risk tolerance, investment mix and other factors.

Just think back to hurricane Katrina, New Orleans. Not that it was full blown chaos, but a small sample of what could come, many bets are off. That level of surviving a few days to two weeks is more likely, storm, disaster, whatever.

In general the stock market has been in a roll in recent years. I actually logged in to check things a few weeks ago, thinking about going slightly more defensive, but ended up leaving things be. I already have a level of cash equivalents, which is often bypassed with inflation.

An interesting note, gold was up 1.3% or so YTD, the overall market nearly 13% YTD, weeks ago. Just a comment related to the precious metals advertising that’s rather common.
 
Posts: 7592 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Fortunately I am not retired yet so I do not need to draw from my accounts. I have 90% of my investments in fixed interest or cash and am waiting for the big market crash so I can buy at a discount.

I am far from a financial advisor, but short of selling before values drop (Like right now) or letting it ride until the market recovers, how else can you preserve value? I sold everything that I was profitable on and the few I have left (and the total value) will not bother me if it drops 50-75% from current values.
 
Posts: 5237 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
The old 80% securities and 20% bonds -- or whatever it is for one's specific situation -- doesn't seem like a reliably good answer.



Bonds are generally terrible for most people under most circumstances given how they are usually owned these days. Only if you buy individual bonds and hold them to maturity is your money safe. Even then you likely lose to inflation. Bond ETFs are going to lose money if interest rates don't fall. While interest rates falling isn't likely, the government could try to force them lower with strong yield curve control, which means hyper inflation. Bond owners lose either way.

Short term bonds near the inflation rate are the least risk, but again only if you keep them to maturity. It was a very different world when 60/40 or whatever ratio was viable.

If we assume inflation will be used to bail out the government's debt, and/or assume that the government will not substantially reduce spending, investing in bonds will be very risky.

(I have several years of expenses in short term government bonds and money market accounts. This is to avoid needing to sell stocks at a loss if the market tanks. Bonds are a valid tool for some uses when owned directly)
 
Posts: 11511 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Most assume that they will have access to any of their money held somewhere else by someone else in the event of things going Crayzee.


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
 
Posts: 23136 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Disaster & Survival Preparedness    Investments (in your IRA/401k etc.) for when things go Crayzee

© SIGforum 2026