SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    grip issue with older Sig 226
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

grip issue with older Sig 226 Login/Join 
posted
All
I have a German framed 226 built in 02. After years of duty carry the alloy frame has worn out grip screw holes. I have used oversized grip screws, but now they don't even work. Should I just use the E2 grip? If so what would be my best course of action. Send to Sig or another gunsmith. I have transitioned to a newer all stainless 226 for duty, but would like to at least get my older 226 up and running. thanks to all. Officer Dave

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have read here that SIG will repair stripped-out screw holes with some sort of helical insert, but no discussion recently. It might be worth contacting them. There are a couple/three ’smiths that I’ve seen enough about to trust with such a repair if they undertook the job, but I certainly wouldn’t trust the guy at the local pawnshop without some solid references. My only personal experience has been with Grayguns.

The easiest thing would be, of course, to go with the E2 grip. It would require changing to the new hammer strut and mainspring seat, but I don’t know of any reason why such a conversion wouldn’t work with any P226.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks sigfreund I believe the E2 will work also. I may just send it to Sig and have them install an E2 and replace the trigger. I can put her back into rotation as a range shooter.

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a W German 226 that I have had for over 25 years. Was my carry weapon when I was with the Sheriff's Dept. the grip screw holes got stripped and was put into the safe and unused for years. The E2 grips came along and gave the old girl new life. Give it a go, and see if you like the E2. If not can always send to Sig and see what they can do.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1112 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks sig226fan same story here I will give the E2s a try

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
There are several smiths who do micro welding. I had Pullman Arms do a micro weld repair on a stainless slide I have. The front sight dovetail was cut incorrectly by another smith. Pullman repaired the slide and the repair cannot be seen. I feel the price was very reasonable.

You would need to see if any of the smiths out there do aluminum welding, but it might be a possibility.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post