SIGforum
1911 caliber conversions questions

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/9700021584

September 16, 2021, 12:29 PM
yzernie
1911 caliber conversions questions
Hi all,

I did a search and didn't come up with much related to my concern.

Let me backstory this, I have a few Sig 1911s and the two main ones for this discussion are the Match Elite in 9mm and the TacOps in 10mm. I have extra Sig barrels in 38 super for the 9mm and .40sw for the 10mm. I got the barrels and they do not come with the links and pins. I called Sig to ask about the links and pins and the guy I spoke with said I could not swap out the barrels for the 1911 line. I explained I wasn't trying to convert drastically different calibers, like a .45acp to a 9mm, and he still said not doable.

So, I come here to ask for the advise of the knowledgeable and experienced here...Is it possible to change my 9mm to 38 super and my 10mm to .40 by simply dropping in a new barrel?

Thanks in advance

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it.
September 16, 2021, 01:39 PM
ensigmatic
I am not a gunsmith, nor do I play on on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I have become something of a 1911 aficionado.

From what I know of the 1911 platform my semi-educated guess is what SIG told you is entirely correct.

One of the members who is an armorer can undoubtedly explain why much better than I.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
September 16, 2021, 06:32 PM
yzernie
Thank you, I'm looking forward to an answer(s) from those who can tell me why. Seems simple enough but there is obviously something I am missing.

ETA: Based on what I have read today on the net (for all 1911s, not just Sig) it seems the main obstacle is the ejector possibly being the incorrect length.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: yzernie,

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it.
September 17, 2021, 08:58 AM
trebor44
Somewhat along the same line: I converted a 1911 10mm (RIA) to a 40 S&W (barrel and mags, 16# recoil spring). Did some minor fitting of the barrel (hood) and added a 9mm slide lock lever to lock back the slide with the 40 S&W mags (works with the 10mm's also). The conversion was easy since the barrels were both ramped (bull barrel). So, it can be done, but it may require some 'smithing'!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!
September 17, 2021, 09:26 AM
ensigmatic
Since nobody else seems inclined to pick this one up, I'll take a stab at it. (Caveat: I'm neither a gunsmith nor an 1911 expert.)

Here are an article and a thread that claim it's doable, but it's more than just the barrel:

1911 - Changing Your Caliber
1911 - Changing Your Caliber

(The article at the head of that short thread appears to be the same as the Hooper Gun Works article.)

So, at a minimum, it's more than just the barrel.

Your Match Elite I'm going to guess has a match barrel and a barrel bushing to match. Now you want to drop an un-matched barrel in it? I think I'd replace the barrel bushing, too, and keep the original bushing with the original barrel. The TacOps, I don't know. I might be inclined to do the same out of an abundance of caution.

Here's the thing that would concern me: From all I've read, 1911's are very timing-sensitive. To the point that, if you search, you can find where people have damaged bolt faces and barrel locking lugs when they, or a gunsmith, got it wrong.

They're your guns. Personally, I wouldn't chance it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
September 17, 2021, 11:35 AM
Jim Watson
Internet timidity and corporate CYA.

There are untold numbers of 9mm-.38 convertibles and some 10mm - .40 convertibles out there and I have not heard of one running amuck or blowing up. Neither of mine did.

The question is whether it is a drop-in conversion. Using same brand barrels, I think you have a chance, the hyperbolic advertising department model names do not mean that the guns were really factory assembled with any closer fit than standard.

Links are readily available in several sizes, the key dimension being from slide stop hole to pin hole. A set of four is not expensive.

If they don't go together, it is time to consult a real gunsmith, I would not try to fit a barrel based on youtube.