SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Rusty Springfield 87A (.22) revival.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rusty Springfield 87A (.22) revival. Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
I got a free for good reason Springfield rifle a few weeks back. Nasty is an understatement, a barn abandonment with lots of surface rust two lines of that are probably 3/4-1 inch long on the receiver and barrel but surprisingly the receiver disassembled, bolt cycled but the safety was stuck halfway on. Pitting in those two areas is approximately 1/32” deep. Not worried about weakening the receiver as that area is midway on the left by the gills.

It almost looks like someone sprayed motor oil on it. Anyway it went directly to a Safety-Kleen parts washer once the stock was removed.

The Cerakote guy that does our work said he can probably fill those rusted areas then coat it all. I’m thinking electrolysis for rust removal on the receiver after removing the barrel which is held to the receiver by two cross pins. I still need to attempt to clean and inspect the barrel but I’m thinking if the bore is good the process may damage it, correct?

Opinions please.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I would clean the exterior and bore first. Then I would shoot it.
If it isn't a serviceable rifle, why spend a dime on it until you are certain it is worth spending any money fixing it up.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1569 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Yes, I left that part out, I want to clean out all the crud and rust before I try it out so I’m not adverse to multiple tear downs and reassembles.

I’ve already fully stripped it down and surprisingly everything came apart, all the screws came out with no resistance and no signs of ever being touched. The cartridge lifter is the usual suspect for feed problems, this one was not worn.

The electrolysis, I’ll make that a D-I-Y project after I make sure the bore is good.

I already have one of these, it was my step great grandfather’s and has been in the family since 1945-46 and I’m always afraid of something happening to it so it rarely ventures outside.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post