SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    p226 357sig barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

p226 357sig barrel Login/Join 
posted
I have a 9mm 226.Can I put a 357 sig barrel in it and work ,,also can I put 40/357 sig mags in it ?Do I need to make any changes for it to work?

Posts: 188 | Location: Troy,AL | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A 357 SIG or 40 S&W barrel will not fit in a 9mm P226 slide because the barrel hood extensions of the former are too wide to fit the slot in the slide above the firing pin.
That was probably a deliberate design feature to prevent the more powerful cartridges from being fired with the lighter 9mm slide and less powerful recoil spring.

Converting a 9mm P226 to 357 or 40 would require a complete new barrel and slide assembly. Yes, 357/40 magazines will fit the 9mm frame.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you put a complete 357Sig/40 S&W slide on a 9mm frame?

Posts: 5740 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Can you put a complete 357Sig/40 S&W slide on a 9mm frame?

Yes—usually.
P226 frames and other parts in the frame have for many years been mostly the same for 9mm and 357/40 versions.

The “mostly” refers to the fact that ejectors are, or at least were, different for 9mm and 357/40. Many people, however, have used the frames and their original ejectors interchangeably for all three cartridges and I’ve never read of any problems as a result.

The other mostly is that I found problems with trying to use a slide from a P226 with aluminum frame on a stainless frame. The SS frame rails were thicker and prevented the slide from going on. Then there is the fact that early P226 frames are not exactly the same as later ones: the “mud rails” thing is the one I know about. And given the fact that some early (9mm) 226 frame rails were prone to failure due to cracking, I definitely wouldn’t shoot them with a 357/40 slide.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the info,, going to work on getting the parts I need ,,

Posts: 188 | Location: Troy,AL | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post