SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Install guide rod spring....P938 FINALLY!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Install guide rod spring....P938 FINALLY! Login/Join 
posted
I surely would like an angel to come down and secure this guide rod and spring in my new gun.
It is driving me to using nasty words and stuff.
I've faced nasty guide rod springs before, in Colt Officer's model and others, but this one is a bugger. Wish that Sig had come up with a short plastic sleeve to contain the spring close to the muzzle, but...
Any hints would be most welcome.. thx.

Like any guy who needs help, I called Sig Customer Service. A very nice guy mentioned that if my finger strength wasn't enough to install that wickedly strong guide rod spring...then perhaps I needed some LEVERAGE.
I went to my work bench, got a smallish pair of vise grips, wrapped the vise grip jaws with electrical tape to prevent scratches on the guide rod head, and went to it.
With the second try, within about 45 seconds, the guide road was seated and all is right with the world....well, sorta. I called them back and said many thanks...
MORAL: Don't hesitate to go to the big guys when you've run out of ideas...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sonnydaze,

Posts: 58 | Location: north-central Florida | Registered: February 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As it turns out, I am likely one of the few that has a hand strength problem. Using a vise grip with taped jaws helps me to overcome this difficulty.
My problem has a medical history which I am handling as well as I can.
Life goes on. BTW, I cannot easily rack my Sig P365 and it remains unfired in its case. It will eventually be sold uncarried and unfired.
Fortunately my Legion P938, being hammer-fired, is much easier to manipulate, and this baby makes me look like a pro at the range.
Life is good.

Posts: 58 | Location: north-central Florida | Registered: February 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post