SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Air compressor for gun cleaning?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air compressor for gun cleaning? Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

What air compressors do you find works well for gun cleaning? I normally use Dust Off compressed air cans, but my supply is running very low. Would an airbrush compressor work? Brownell's sells the Paasche D500SR. I am looking for one on the quiet side.

Thank you,
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
California air tools has a 1 gallon small quiet compressor that I saw at Lowes. Just over $100.00. You will find lots of other uses for this small compressor, like small nail guns and inflating tires, ect.
I have an 8 gal larger model in my shop, very quiet also. Highly recommended after 1-1/2 years of use.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My garage is plumbed for compressed air from a Quincy QT-5 compressor, which can put out 175psi. For gun cleaning, I just ran black pipe over to the reloading/cleaning bench, installed a manifold and regulator, and keep the pressure dialed down to about 20-25psi. Quick connect a hose and blow gun.

You could use the same concept with any size compressor, just use a regulator to keep the pressure down to the levels you would need for gun cleaning or blowing off your press and bench.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't live without my compressor. I have a Campbell Hausfeld 8 gallon Quiet compressor. It's surprisingly quiet and I've been very happy with it.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I'll be watching this thread for responses as well.

I'm planning to eventually buy a small, quiet air compressor for use in my hobby room and light garage duty from time to time.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have a small 2 tank nailer compressor that works well for airing tires up and blowing small stuff dry, but it's no use beyond that.
I save the canned air for my range bag.

I don't use air tools at home or anything that uses large volumes of air so a small unit works for me.
Good compressors are pretty expensive, I believe the shop shelled out 15K for the turbine unit we just got. Now that's quite, about as noisy as an HVAC unit and delivers a ton of right now.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Somewhere over the years, I picked up a very small compressor. 1 Gallon tank. Quiet.

However, I cranked the pressure gauge pretty low. Probably under 20 lbs. I really don't want small parts (that I can barely see anymore on a good day) to go flying off into the stratosphere.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post