SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SRT Kit in German/W.German SIGs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SRT Kit in German/W.German SIGs Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

I installed a P220 SRT kit into my 2004 P220RM without issue. However, I ran into a problem when I installed a P226/P229 SRT kit into my early 90's P228. I could not get the bend at the end of the trigger bar past the extended safety level. (See arrows in pic below.)

Did I miss something with installing the SRT kit in this P228, or is this kit not compatible with older classic SIGs? Since the kit specified the P226, I presumed it would work in a P228.

Thank you,
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak to the SRT kit specifically, but I had to change the order of reassembly on some of my older SIGs, so you might try installing the trigger bar before the sear and safety lever.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I cannot speak to the SRT kit specifically, but I had to change the order of reassembly on some of my older SIGs, so you might try installing the trigger bar before the sear and safety lever.

I think you are right! I rewatched Ferrari Steve's video on installing the SRT kit and he left the trigger group in place, except for removing the trigger bar spring. I have always removed the trigger group, almost unconsciously, when accessing the sear group. It looks like I have to break that habit if I want to install the SRT kit in my older SIGs. Hmm, I have to take a look at my newer P220RM to see why I didn't have that trigger bar problem.

Thank you!
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I had this same issue with my 1995 German P228 when I did the install.

First picture shows it finally came together:

In the next picture, you see the sear spring is captured under the pin. I had to slide this off the pin it was under. Once released, safety lever would pivot up, letting me slide the trigger back to it's resting point. Once the trigger bar was in place, the safety lever (which is much longer on the SRT kit) would pivot back down and make proper contact with the trigger bar. Once it's in place, slide and push the sear spring back under the pin, and test function. Just be careful when you release tension on the sear spring. It won't go anywhere, but it's what is holding pressure on the pin that goes through the sear. It is the one that slides in through the rails. After you get the sear spring back in place, make sure that pin is centered.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally dropped in the SRT kit into a P228 without removing the trigger group. I have a few thoughts on this procedure and the SRT kit...

I having previously removed the trigger group and locking insert quickly and easily for a simple, extended cleaning. This is no longer quick or easy, as removing the extended safely lever is more challenging with the increased potential for loss of small parts, especially at the range.

While the SRT kit shortens the length of the single action reset, it seems to have also increased the length of the double action reset. I compared the triggers of this P228 with a stock P229 from the 1990's.

The SRT kit parts needed to be thoroughly scrubbed to remove a tenacious reddish-brown residue. I have found the same residue on newly manufactured magazines as well.

The open cavities in the MIM parts are more difficult to clean and dry than their corresponding machined parts. I noticed the same in an MIM trigger on a P229 (I swapped it out for a solid one!)

Best,
Ian

Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
Running the SRT parts in really old Sigs can be problematic. I've done it and had to play around with the assembly order to make everything fit.

Also, you may get some weird trigger performance. In my case, if I ran the gun at speed, everything worked fine. However, if I did a slow, deliberate trigger press on the DA trigger, I could decock the gun without using the decocking lever. You'd get a click and if you eased off of the trigger press, the hammer would slowly lower. Sounds weird but I had a video before PhotoBucket ate it.

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
While I haven't tried it with a P228 as you have (sadly, I don't have a P228 yet), Te SRT kit went in my P220 from 1977 without any issues.

It may be that the P228 architecture didn't allow for such a thing at the time without making it more difficult. Good to hear you got it going.

Posts: 9093 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ajp3jeh:
Running the SRT parts in really old Sigs can be problematic. I've done it and had to play around with the assembly order to make everything fit.

Also, you may get some weird trigger performance. In my case, if I ran the gun at speed, everything worked fine. However, if I did a slow, deliberate trigger press on the DA trigger, I could decock the gun without using the decocking lever. You'd get a click and if you eased off of the trigger press, the hammer would slowly lower. Sounds weird but I had a video before PhotoBucket ate it.

Based on what you said, do you think it is worth it to do the SRT kit for a German/WGerman P220 used for a range/target gun: where slow/deliberate shots will be the norm?

I just found a P220 in .38Super [german made] and my first instinct is to install the SRT and find a short trigger, so that it will match my current P220 and P226.

yet, if there are mechanical issues in installing these parts into older Sigs, I may just accept it 'as is'.

Some good info on this thread for my needs!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post