SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Best file for fitting 1911 dovetail front sight?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best file for fitting 1911 dovetail front sight? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Specifically a Springfield Operator. The original front was pinned and contoured and a royal pain to get out.

I need a good file to fit the front sight so it goes in without as much trouble so as not to damage the gun.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8369 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my set of swiss needle files is one called a tapered barrette. Only cuts on one side triangle shaped. That is what I would start with.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Is the dovetail the standard shape? Just file the bottom flat of the sight. Don't file the slide at all. This is easy, too - just old the sight to the file - it automatically stays flat. A tiny bit of filing goes a long way.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53254 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Standard 60* dovetail fitting a 10-8 Performance front sight. I won’t touch the gun with the file.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8369 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Is the dovetail the standard shape? Just file the bottom flat of the sight. Don't file the slide at all. This is easy, too - just old the sight to the file - it automatically stays flat. A tiny bit of filing goes a long way.

Yep. I've fitted half a dozen front sights using a stone (bottom flat), not a file. Slow and careful. Trial and error. You want a tight friction fit.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post