SIGforum
P365 slide release extremely hard to operate

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/8090046094

March 25, 2022, 07:25 PM
Gunther2022
P365 slide release extremely hard to operate
I searched this site for this problem but can not find any posts on this issue. I have a new p365 ( born on date of July 2021) and with the magazine out the slide release is very hard to operate with one thumb, but doable. However when a magazine is inserted (empty or loaded) the slide release is so hard to release that it takes both thumbs and a lot of force to get it to “release”! Is this a IOM, “out of tolerance” issue with the slide release mechanism, or?????!!! Any help, recommendations would be greatly appreciated

FYI. No rounds have been fired through the weapon yet.

Thanks in advance.
March 26, 2022, 09:10 AM
Flash-LB
So is mine in 9MM.

OTOH, I slingshot the slide when closing it, so it's not a problem.
March 26, 2022, 04:48 PM
sigwerkes2
The slide will not drop with an empty magazine inserted. That's by design so the slide will be in the locked back position informing the operator it's time to reload or go home.
March 27, 2022, 04:29 PM
Herkdriver
quote:
Originally posted by sigwerkes2:
The slide will not drop with an empty magazine inserted. That's by design so the slide will be in the locked back position informing the operator it's time to reload or go home.

Actually, you can release the slide with an empty mag inserted by depressing the slide catch lever, it does take some extra force.

OP, the slide catch on my 365XL is stiff but useable. As Flash mentioned I always slingshot the slide so I did not even notice how stiff it was until your post made me check it out.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson
March 28, 2022, 03:20 PM
stoic-one
I'll be the contrarian and mention that it's not technically a "slide release" since SIG actually calls it a "Slide Catch Lever", which means its primary design purpose is to lock the slide back, not actually release it. Wink

BUT, for your purposes, I suspect it will loosen up with some use.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/
March 28, 2022, 04:19 PM
92fstech
Check the area of the slide where the lever engages it. I ran into a P320 a few weeks back that had a nasty burr there, and it made it almost impossible to drop the slide by pressing down on the lever. It wasn't my gun, so I'm not sure what he ended up doing about it, but had it been, I'd have dressed the burr down with a file, being careful to not alter the angle of the cut in the slide.
March 28, 2022, 04:58 PM
Gunther2022
Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked at the FCU and find it hard to get a file in the channel it release level is located. I do see a bit of a ridge. I will probably take to a gun smith to have done. Taking apart the FCU in a bit more than I want to undertake. Again thanks did addressing the issue.
March 28, 2022, 06:38 PM
92fstech
To clarify, the burr on the P320 was on the slide, not in the FCU. It is a very tight spot...would probably require a needle file or small piece of emory board.
July 26, 2022, 08:15 AM
ken158
I was chatting with Sig CS last week and guy told me the slide lock / catch confuses so many people that are used to guns like 1911’s where the slide lock is also a slide release. The Sig geometry is for a positive lock and therefore not a slide release. This is explained in the manual as why the sling shot method is recommended.