SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Advice requested: treatment of Stainless P220 frame w/rust
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice requested: treatment of Stainless P220 frame w/rust Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

My local LGS loves me- I spend so much with them. They know me well.

I was in last week and they showed me a 'smoking' deal on a Sig P220 Elite Stainless.

The only drawback- it was previously owned near the ocean and there was rust/corrosion of the metal around/under the wooden grips. The wooden grips were toast also [I am ok with that- as I have smaller hands, and plan on doing the E2 grip change].

They detail stripped, sonic cleaned and put it back into working condition.

However, the rust spots still are there and are a blackish color.

I have a plan, but need your advice.

My Plan- to use something like Jasco's Metal Etch [acid rust treatment] and clean the metal [after my own detail trip] properly.

After this, I will be sure there are no rust traces in the metal.

After that, I am considering sending the frame to SIg for a bead-blast- to match the slide and remove the discoloration.

Can anyone see anything I am missing? Is this a solid plan, or is there a better option?

Thanks in advance.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
If you could post a picture, it may help with assessing the effort needed.

If it's only under the grips where pitting will not be visible, this should be an easy fix. Not sure you need the metal etch step.

I bead-blasted pitting on a stainless gun that I bought as a project then used sandpaper to restore the brushed finish. This was not under the grips...if you know what to look for, you can still find the deeper pits but no one has ever noticed, only I know they are there.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motorheadjohn:
If you could post a picture, it may help with assessing the effort needed.

If it's only under the grips where pitting will not be visible, this should be an easy fix. Not sure you need the metal etch step.

I bead-blasted pitting on a stainless gun that I bought as a project then used sandpaper to restore the brushed finish. This was not under the grips...if you know what to look for, you can still find the deeper pits but no one has ever noticed, only I know they are there.

It will be a few weeks before I can post any pictures. It is on lay-a-way at the LGS, and then a 10 day wait once paid for.

There is a bit of 'freckling' around the edges of the grips on the steel that is visible when the grips are installed, but most is underneath.

I am happy at the discount it brings, but want to be sure the rust never comes back.

Thanks.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
The metal etch certainly won't hurt as it will turn the iron oxide in the deep pits to iron phosphate. The follow on bead blast will smooth out the appearance. Your plan is good, I think.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have removed all traces of minor rust from stainless steel SIGs, but if you’re going to have the gun refinished, it’s hardly worth the effort, I believe.

As for keeping it from coming back, there are literally countless rust-preventing products that will do the job. Use them properly and conscientiously, and there will be no problem in any reasonable environment. I carried a (carbon steel) S&W model 10 revolver for years under conditions in hot and humid weather that constantly exposed it to perspiration, and it never developed a speck of rust because I maintained it properly.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have it Passivated.

Especially after bead blasting, if that is what you intend to do.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
Passivating stainless is usually done with a nitric acid bath to remove surface iron leaving more chromium etc. Citric acid is an option that doesn't remove as much metal.

This is a WAG, as I've no experience using either aci. I do use bulk SS spring stock that comes passivated. The passivation dulls and discolors the spring metal, so I'll use a buffer to bring back the shine (i.e. remove the passivation).

Phosphoric acid, which I've often used to convert rust, dulls the finish also, but much less. For a SS slide that's got rust pits, I'd use phosphoric to convert the rust before bead blasting. The apply oil to surface. SS is corrosion resistant, not corrosion proof, so a wipe down with rust preventative is good in any case.

In either case, the passivated surface is not, IMO, particularly durable in that it can wear off, leaving good ol' stainless behind.
If passivating *after* bead blasting, as suggested (and I'm not meaning to argue here), I'd want apply a drop of the acid to a hidden spot to check the results before doing the whole thing.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post