SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Manuel safety removal on M18, can it be done?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manuel safety removal on M18, can it be done? Login/Join 
Picture of Eagle1
posted
Looking at an M18 and really not happy with the manuel safety it has. Is there a way to remove that manuel safety and the FCU will function like a standard non manuel safety FCU would?

If not, I guess I could shave the safety down but I do not really want to do that. Mu local fun store has an M18 for $580.00 and I really liked it except the safety on the side.. Thanks for any help here...

---------------------------------------------------
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC.

Certified OPOTA Firearms Instructor, Taser Instructor and Glock Armorer!

Posts: 1734 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Yes, but you need the correct factory replacement parts (that Sig won't sell you) to do it.

I did it with a Sig M17 Bravo. I found a person online that had a P320 FCU and wanted the manual safety, we swapped parts and after a bit of talking each other through the process, I had a M17 Bravo without the manual safety and he had a P320 with manual safety.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Call Alex, the owner of AB Prototype, he converts non-safety P320 into Manual Safety versions.
(www.ABprototype.com/p320-manual-safety-conversion)

The parts are not difficult, it is cut in the FCU that needs attention and if anyone can plug the whole it will be Alex, he is an excellent machinist and a gunsmith that specializes on the P320 platform.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4sigman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
Yes, but you need the correct factory replacement parts (that Sig won't sell you) to do it.

It sure looks like they will sell it. Part 26.
https://www.sigsauer.com/sig-s...ation=safetyleverpin

Posts: 275 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
It sure looks like they will sell it. Part 26.

When I did it, Sig would not sell the parts. They were contacted and refused to help with the removal of the manual safety. The guy that wanted the safety also called and they wouldn't sell him the parts to convert an non manual safety FCU to one with the safety.

If they changed policy and now sell the parts then that's a huge win.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
That wouldn't be out of character for SIG. Remember back when they first came out with the SRT (short reset - - not to be confused with Short Reach Trigger). In any case, they wouldn't sell parts to the public, only authorized gunsmith folk, a couple of whom would sell the parts!

Then later they decided to make the parts available.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post