SIGforum
Why won't my slide lock back after last shot fired?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/749101723

April 21, 2007, 04:02 PM
sdy
Why won't my slide lock back after last shot fired?
The fact that I regularly shoot a 226/9 and 229/40 with no problems, sort of lulled me into thinking there was no problem with my grip on the 239.

What I see now is that the 239 is smaller than the other guns and the grip that worked on the bigger guns will need adjustment for the 239.

I am really warming up to the 239 after I dremmeled 1mm off of the front sight and got it shooting to POA. Amazing how much more fun it is to shoot a gun that impacts where you aim it.

Update: just got back from the range. Fired over 100 rounds and the 239/357 slide locked back every time on an empty mag. Many times I just loaded 3 rounds at a time to give it a good test.

I put my right thumb over the base of my left thumb so that the right thumb wasn't quite pointed down the length of the gun. Accuracy didn't seem impacted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,
April 30, 2007, 10:27 AM
1911onr
I just noticed that Topgunsupply has the slide stop spring available for most P-series for $3.95. It is advertised as a Sig factory part. Wouldn't this work as well as the $60 Brownell version? For the price, I think I'll try it out.
April 30, 2007, 10:59 AM
Chris Orndorff
quote:
Originally posted by 1911onr:
I just noticed that Topgunsupply has the slide stop spring available for most P-series for $3.95. It is advertised as a Sig factory part. Wouldn't this work as well as the $60 Brownell version? For the price, I think I'll try it out.

$60?? I just checked Brownells on-line and the part (slide catch lever spring) is $4.00.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

April 30, 2007, 11:11 AM
1911onr
Sorry. I misread an earlier post. $60 was for parts and labor not just the part.

Current Sig-ventory:
P220ST, P226-Navy, P229-9
May 10, 2007, 01:09 PM
tekmassa
Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd post here. I have a Sig228 CPO that I purchased in November of last year. Put ~650 rounds through it with never a problem (FMJ, JHP, various brands).

Until last week. Using WWB ammo, I had the slide fail to lock back 7 out of 8 times. I'm using the 13 round Sig mags that came with the pistol, and 2 brand new Mec-gar mags (one 15 rnd, one 17 rnd). I stripped the pistol down and cleaned it well, then regreased and oiled. Returned to the range a few days ago just to test the mags (3 rounds in each of the four mags). Slide failed to lock back every time. So I ordered a new recoil spring and slide catch lever spring, installed those last night and went back to the range again today. This time, I had the slide fail to lock back 4 out of 7 times, AND one FTF with the mag that had Winchester Ranger Bonded JHP (124gr +P). I'm not having ANY issues with my P225, so it's not my grip or limp wristing. I've always locked my right thumb under my left, so I'm nowhere near the slide catch lever.

Sorry for the novel, just wanted to make sure I've covered all the details. What do I do now? I'm a little disappointed after the great initial impression my Sig made on me, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: When I put an empty mag in, and manually pull the slide back, it locks every time Confused
May 10, 2007, 03:22 PM
sigfreund
"FTF": failure to "feed"? If so, that's probably unrelated to the slide lock issues.

If you didn't have slide lock problems with the +P ammunition, I'd bet money that the WWB is too wimpy for your P228. It's unusual for problems like that to occur with a clean, lubricated, and well-used gun, but perhaps the stuff you were shooting was just milder than usual. If the problem continues with different lots of the WWB, you might try a lighter recoil spring from Wolff.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
May 10, 2007, 03:52 PM
tekmassa
Sigfreund, thanks for the reply.

FTF = failure to feed in this case, not fire.

I had the failure to feed AND slide not locking back issue with the Ranger +P ammo, so I can't lay the blame on the ammo being too wimpy.

Also, the new recoil spring I ordered IS a Wolff. Seeing as I had these issues with the new recoil spring as well, I might as well put the factory one back in.

Anything else I could try to locate this issue?
May 10, 2007, 04:04 PM
sigfreund
That's a toughie.
I've seen slide lock problems result from an overly-stiff slide catch lever spring, but you've already replaced it. When you cycle the slide manually with an empty mag in the gun, does the SCL move all the way to the top of the intercept notch in the slide?

Another possibility would be a problem with the slide catch lever and/or intercept notch. If it's a used gun, perhaps something is worn and even though the slide locks manually, the firing forces are causing the SCL to bump out of the notch. I would take a close look at the notch and SCL to see if you can detect anything. That would, I believe, explain why the problem developed recently and despite new springs, good ammo, and proper gun handling techniques. How do you release the slide, BTW—by depressing the SCL or by pulling and letting the slide go?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
May 10, 2007, 08:20 PM
tekmassa
sigfreund,
I just checked, and when I manually cycle the slide the SCL does in fact move all the way to the top of the notch. It snaps up quickly and firmly, and there's no wear on the back corner of the notch to where it would indicate it's been slipping. I always release the slide by slingshot method, never by depressing the SCL.

I've disassembled the pistol yet again, and even after inspecting the SCL, spring, etc.. nothing looks suspicious Confused
May 10, 2007, 11:37 PM
widge
quote:
So I ordered a new recoil spring and slide catch lever spring

Is the recoil spring on the right way, tight end first?

Other than that, I'm struggling but it certainly seems like it's a SCR problem, either out of spec, bent, or somehow not contacting the mag follower under full recoil.

Libidio Ergo sum

July 12, 2007, 09:14 PM
chuck s
Since the thread's not dead the reason most SIGs don't lock open on an empty magazine is the shooter is holding down with his thumb. Put the shooting thumb over the knuckle of the support thumb and this usually goes away.

Magazine follower is the next suspect.

-- Chuck

"Never send a man where you can send a bullet."
August 10, 2007, 12:47 PM
widge
Surface!

Libidio Ergo sum

August 19, 2007, 08:35 AM
Reliable
I went through all the senarios and this is what I found:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4141070001

------------------------------------------------------------
"We won't get any smarter if we don't continue to learn"
------------------------------------------------------------
August 20, 2007, 11:08 PM
ontmark
I recently bought a new 226 in Calif 10 round mag Law. Slide did not lock open. Looking at Magazines on the SIG Site when enlarged the picture shows the 12 round mag having a protrusion for the Slide Stop Lever, where the 10 round mag has this area rounded off. Called SIG customer service and they shipped me four followers part number off the 12 round mag for free. Installed them and it works fine, No it didn't change the capacity actually has made it easer to load the last round with speed loader. How have room in Mag for 10 and a half rounds.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck
September 10, 2007, 09:55 PM
Crescendo
Keep your SIG lube'd and the magazine clean !! Cool

October 10, 2007, 08:43 AM
widge
Abracadabra and.........back to the top!

Libidio Ergo sum

October 11, 2007, 11:41 AM
RogerRabbit
For me it's the classic thumb problem. I'm used to holding a Glock as high as possible and the SIG's slide catch lever is a perfect thumb rest for me. Well, perfect except that it wont do it's main function then. Big Grin

Great and informative thread.
Tom

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogerRabbit,
October 19, 2007, 09:15 PM
sigfreund
Good question.
November 05, 2007, 08:40 PM
widge
Page Zwei ist verboten!

Libidio Ergo sum

November 05, 2007, 09:20 PM
Jet455
I performed all of the tests, and they all checked out. This only makes me more certain it has worn mag springs or wasn't lubed right (I should re-lubed when I bought it) and I've had 3 different shooters try and it happened, so that takes out grip.

Im really starting to believe its the mag springs/lubing. Tell me what you guys think.