SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P220 grip issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 grip issues Login/Join 
posted
Hello.
I have a bluebox P220 (to help determine age). I got it used and it cane with G19 grios. Went to look for factory grips and got the old style diamond grip pattern. Those didnt fit at all. Then went to the “slippery” OEM P220 stamped grips. Those wouldb’t let SA fire due to not putting enough pressure on trigger bar and or trigger bar spring.

Only the G10 grips fit and put pressure for the trigger bar to contact.

What gives? Is my gun broken?

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Hmm …. I never knew there were “diamond pattern” grip plates for the P220.

But I am confused by “Those wouldb’t let SA fire due to not putting enough pressure on trigger bar and or trigger bar spring.” It’s not necessary for the grip plate to put any pressure on the trigger bar or spring to permit the gun to fire. It should be possible to operate the trigger in double action or single action mode to fire the gun without the grip plates being attached at all, and in fact if the grip plate contacts the spring that can interfere with firing.

That said, I don’t see any obvious reason why it’s not working properly. Although it usually won’t prevent the gun from firing, one possible problem is inserting the trigger bar spring too far into the frame. This photo shows the end being inserted too far into the magazine well.

The end of the spring should be positioned like this:

Added: I am curious what the bright line or object that is circled is. Is it an artifact of the photo or something else?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Gun isn't broken, your main spring housing assembly isn't compatible with the grips you are trying to use.

Just as an FYI your "Hogue" G10 grips are machined internally to accept all the different MSHA used over the years.

If you still want to use the older style sig grips then you will need to use the correct MSHA that the grips were designed for.

Posts: 18028 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
your main spring housing assembly isn't compatible with the grips you are trying to use.

Yes, I keep forgetting that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do I find the original grips that fits my MSHA?
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Gun isn't broken, your main spring housing assembly isn't compatible with the grips you are trying to use.

Just as an FYI your "Hogue" G10 grips are machined internally to accept all the different MSHA used over the years.

If you still want to use the older style sig grips then you will need to use the correct MSHA that the grips were designed for.

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post