SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Firing pin positioning pin P220
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firing pin positioning pin P220 Login/Join 
Picture of billinaz
posted
OK, now SIG has me wondering if they are giving me good info or not. I know when you call you are getting a guy answering a phone, not an actual person that works on the guns and knows specifics.

I asked about the right part number for the firing pin positioning pin that Came out of my 2013 P220.

It is a rolled pin:

But the CSR at SIG is saying to use a different solid pin with a knurled end:

When I asked him about the different pins he said...." That should work but do not force anything. "

Well... it is a pin and you have to use a hammer to tap it in. So which one is right. I asked him to check with someone in the shop but havent heard back.

Has anyone come across this before??

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
SIG used to use the solid pin with the splined end. That's what my P220s had. SIG later started using a spiral roll pin. If you removed a roll pin, you want a roll pin. But why do you need a new one? Did you damage it?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
SIG used to use the solid pin with the splined end. That's what my P220s had. SIG later started using a spiral roll pin. If you removed a roll pin, you want a roll pin. But why do you need a new one? Did you damage it?

Thats my line of thinking... a roll pin is going back.

Much like when you replace a water pump.... while you are in there put in new belts, not old ones.

So I will out new pins in and have the original one as a backup.

On a side note... you taking flomax?

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, for years. Now generic: tamsulosin.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:

Yes, for years. Now generic: tamsulosin.

Im very familiar.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
Maybe post a picture of the slide?

Posts: 4074 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The dual concentric roll pin was used to pin the breach to the folded slide on the original design Sigs. When Sigarms changed to machined slides starting with the P229 they used the solid roll pin. Somewhere along the line they switched back to the roll pin probably for cost maybe for the original "look". Use whatever it came with originally.

Posts: 4687 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
The dual concentric roll pin was used to pin the breach to the folded slide on the original design Sigs. When Sigarms changed to machined slides starting with the P229 they used the solid roll pin. Somewhere along the line they switched back to the roll pin probably for cost maybe for the original "look". Use whatever it came with originally.
Technically it's not a solid "roll pin", it's a partially splined, tapered shaft, solid, locating pin. AKA FPPP.

I can't tell you how many solid FPPP's I've broken by dry firing, but quite a few. I've since started using an o-ring over the back of the firing pin to prevent the hammer from hitting it during dry fire, some folks use foam ear plugs.

As I'm remembering, they went to the new spiral pin because it's way stronger. The spiral pin will flex, the solid pin has no give, and snaps easier... Doubt it has anything to do with looks, but pretty sure it is cheaper.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6186 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had the same problem with my P220ST. It had the solid pin that is a BEAR to replace with out damaging (marring)the slide. A press is suggested.
I always thought that the pin was so tight that the harmonics were cracking the solid pin. Sig continually denied this along with other problems with the first generation P220ST.
I stopped dry firing the pistol.
Sig's continued refusal to acknowledge design flaws ( later recognized by Bruce Gray) insured that I would never buy another Sig product( that and the way Sig treated Ernest Langdon at the time).

Posts: 4602 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tonelar
posted Hide Post
don’t those vary between sheet metal and solid ss slides?

quote:
RIPbiker13:
...even a .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your truck.

Posts: 702 | Location: El Paso, TEXAS | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post