SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Hammer drop lever; recoil spring (I think)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hammer drop lever; recoil spring (I think) Login/Join 
posted
Every time I tried to post this the forum kicked me out. Why? Have I been insulting? Is my hair a mess? Do I stink? Do I have bad breath? Is my fly unzipped?
Trying again:
I have an early P228. I am at least the third owner. The hammer drop lever will not drop it. The lever moves through all but the last couple mm’s of its range with any grip installed.
The grips are Sig wood. I swapped them with the Sig factory El Cheapo plastic grips from my other P228’s. Can’t drop the hammer with any grip panel on the left side. The wood ones work without problem on the other P228s.

Second issue.
It took two elephants and a gorilla to pull the slide back enough to lock it. I think it gave me arthritis.
The gun was totally free of lubrication. Not a molecule. It also is so clean that the lack of all but a couple wear marks suggest it is unfired, or fired only a couple times (as in “2”) a long time ago.
I lubed sliding parts with Sig grease, and everything else with Breakfree CLP. That made the slide marginally easier but I feared to put it all the way on because I can’t rent the elephants again.

Posts: 152 | Location: Waukesha Co, WI. & St. Paul MN | Registered: March 25, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you post pics with the grips off? A pic of the recoil spring too and its length?

Also, is this your first SIG and do you have issues retracting the slide on other centerfire pistols? Sorry for all the questions!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's always good to get more questions. Might just touch something I don't know.
I have owned Sigs since the late '70s. I have been issued about a dozen and owned about the same number. Owned at least Three P228s, Three P229/357s, three P226s, P220/45s, two P239/357s, one P225, P226X5, two P220-10s, four 1911-pattern (about half .45ACP, others 357Sig,) and I'm likely forgetting a couple specials such as a Blackwater P226.
I'd be happy to post some pix, had a couple ready but could not find a way to upload.
Instructions desired.
Not bragging by any means, just wish to demonstrate that I have a lot of experience with Sig P-series. I've done a lot of field repairs on my own (springs, etc).

Posts: 152 | Location: Waukesha Co, WI. & St. Paul MN | Registered: March 25, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just trying to note that you can use big words with me. Just not too many in one sentence. ;-)

posted Hide Post
I have trouble with no other slides, save one: my .44 Auto Mag requires a nuclear detonation to move.

posted Hide Post
Thanks. That eliminates several potential causes. More questions…how does the slide move on the frame with no barrel or recoil spring installed? Does the hammer cock “normally”?

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Thanks. That eliminates several potential causes. More questions…how does the slide move on the frame with no barrel or recoil spring installed? Does the hammer cock “normally”?

Initially the slide was nearly impossible to move. I think I mentioned it took two elephants and a gorilla to move it, and they could barely pull it back far enough to turn the takedown llever, which also required the use of legendary creatures. I truly feared that after I released it. the slide would launch acrooss the room and through the wall. However, it proved very difficullt to move at all, finally succumbing to foul language and a rubber hammer.
I was nervous about taking the recoil spring and barrel out, but they came out effortlessly.
I examined every part and discovered there was not a single molecule of lubricant. Zero.
I flooded it with CLP and worked the slide on the frame for a long time before it began to loosen. I reassembled cautiously, continuing to work the action. The slide assembly went on easily and while still very tight, it moves.
The decocker was free, but hard to move and would not lower the hammer.
The easy culprit would seem to have been the wooden grips. Take them off, worked fine. Put 'em on other P228s and they worked fine. The other P228 grips had the same problem on this gun.
I watched very closely as I moved the lever down with the grips on and the hammer cocked. I determined that with grips on, the lever moved about 2mm short. There were no marks of stress on the wood grips. Keeping in mind how much effort it took to move other parts, I applied a lot of pressure to the lever and it finally moved. Works fine, now, though still with considerable effort.
I think I mentioned the gun appeared to be unfired or fired very few times.
I am continuing to operate its various parts ad when I am satisfied it's OK, I'll shoot it.
So the issue was a total lack of lube and probably decades of dry storage.
Unreal.

posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.