SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    S&W Model 60 not going into SA mode *FIXED*
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Model 60 not going into SA mode *FIXED* Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
UPDATE: The replacement hammer spring was too long. Trimmed about 1/8"and it works fine.

I was replacing the springs in my neighbor's Model 60-9 S&W revolver. A nice "pre-lock" model!

I got the springs replaced and was putting it back together when I noticed that while it would fire in DA mode, I couldn't get it to lock back in SA mode.

Does anyone know what this might be?

They sent me an incorrect length mainspring. Replacing it fixed the issue.

Photo May 24, 11 54 15 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rolan_Kraps,

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Have you tried putting the old mainspring back in?

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Yea, you can see the spring binding.
Are you sure it's the correct spring?
I've never had to trim a main spring.

Posts: 1538 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The spring doesn’t look like it’s binding but rather highly compressed. Doesn’t look like there is any room for the hammer to cam back all the way to the single action notch.

I agree replacing the hammer spring in the picture with the original until you’re able to locate a correct replacement.

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Coil bind occurs when the spring is compressed to the point that all the coils are in contact, and can not be compressed any further.

The photo clearly shows "binding".

Posts: 1538 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
See original post.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post