SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    minor whoops with 238
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

minor whoops with 238 Login/Join 
posted
I have now field stripped my 238 HD for routine cleaning four times, have about 600 rounds thru it. This last time, while wiping down the frame with the slide dismounted, I managed to snag the end of the slide lock/release return spring with the rag. It popped out of its recess slightly and I could NOT get it to lay back in. I then tried to sneak the spring out to take the bend out that I assumed I put into it when I snagged and pulled it with the rag. I could not get it out. I FINALLY managed to get it to lay back down and put the slide back on but the spring is clearly de-tensioned somewhat. The slide lock-release now has a slight up-down slop to it when there is no magazine in the gun. I am pretty sure that was not the case previously. I intend to order a new spring from SIG. I assume there is a trick to getting the old one out and the new one in. Can anybody share please. thanks. bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: robertrwalsh,

Posts: 7 | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
Robert,

I haven't had the pleasure of removing mine (on a P938, but same deal), but have got replacement springs.

The spring part that goes into the frame is over bent (more than 90 degrees) so it binds going in. I've read reports from others about the frame being peened or center punched at the hole to fix the spring in place, but haven't seen that myself.

To remove the "looseness" of which you speak, I've done that without removing the spring. I use a small needle nose pliers, grasp the spring and rotate the pliers to bend the end of the spring down a little bit. This does two things.

It removes the looseness, and it helps prevent the slide catch/take down lever from walking out to the left and locking the slide, as some have experienced. If you decide to bend the spring down a bit, you have to go easy, too far down and the little tab on the slide lock lever that must go under that spring - will hit the spring and prevent the lever from going all the way into position.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks bumper. I wondered if there was a directional tail of some sort on that spring but I just couldn't get it to cooperate. I am going to get a spare spring (or two) before I remove the current one. I may then attempt the in-place fix you suggest. Thanks for the 411. I appreciate it.

posted Hide Post
FYI, I talked to SIG this morning and ordered the part. They are fairly cheap, about $8 so I bought two. The spring is staked in place. Now that I know what to look for (or will when the part shows up) it should be all good, or at least adequate.