SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P226 .22 conversion kit issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 .22 conversion kit issues Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone had any issues with firing their converted p226 in double action? It never fires in double action after multiple trigger pulls. My 226 works fine with the conversion kit in single action.

I have a 19# gray guns hammer spring and an SRT kit installed

Posts: 361 | Location: Keystone State | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a Wolf Reduced Power hammer spring in it?

I have a P226 .40. With the.22 conversion unit in, the following occurs. The plastic base Wolff hammer spring I run is 18# and I get some DA .22 FTF. With the 19# I get fewer FTF. With the factory standard I get none.

In all weights, the SA ignition is reliable with .22. In centerfire, all weights are reliable in DA & SA modes.

The DA imparts less power to the firing pin strike than the SA does, regardless of hammer spring weight. This is because the DA hammer arc is shorter than the SA arc. With the original center fire this is not an issue. With the .22 rimfire cartridge it is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nipper, I have the gray guns 19# mainspring and metal mainspring strut. If I remember correctly, the factory spring is 20lbs or so, so that makes sense.

I prefer the DA trigger pull with the gray guns parts, and the whole point of buying the kit was to practice with the DA/SA transition.

It looks like I have a decision to make. Haha

Posts: 361 | Location: Keystone State | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I missed your original info re the GGI hammer spring. I'm in the stock market and was watching it collapse when I posted.Red Face

Sounds like the same problem I have with the Wolff RP spring though. Each pistol and hammer spring is slightly different, so results will likely vary. There are likely some +- variations on individual hammer springs. I know Sig does not publish the weight of their factory springs,the number given by Wolff and others is an approximation.

Generally though, the .22 conversion is prone to misfires when lighter springs are used. As you can see from my post, the frequency is directly related to the spring weight used.

Sounds like a conundrum. Frustrating, but I don't know of a solution. Frequently (18#), the DA will fire with a 2nd or 3rd strike. Long shot, but check the extractor, extractor slot, breech/barrel face, etc. for any burrs. I originally did some de-burring, but it didn't eliminate the problem.

One last gasp. I don't know if any .22LR brand has "softer" cases/primer rims than others. Might play with different brands. Might also be internal variations of the internal rim priming compounds. Dunno. I have always used CCI Mini-Mags exclusively.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post