SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P229 .357 Sight Numbers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 .357 Sight Numbers Login/Join 
has a low threshold
for bullshit
Picture of Ivan
posted
Hi everyone,

During my time with the US Secret Service, I carried a Sig 229 in .357

I have a personal 229, but the sights need to be replaced. It will be loaded for .357, even though the gun originally came as a .40

Which Trijicon sight numbers should I install for .357? Currently, it his fitted with a #3 front, and #9 rear, but I don't think that's right.

Apologies if this has been answered 532 times, as I couldn't find an answer in search. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Posts: 1687 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Actually, if you look about 15 or so posts below yours, member Guy1 asked the same question recently.

229 357 SIG front sight replacement

The SIG factory sights for .357 SIG are typically 8/8... however the sight numbers are pretty small and sometimes stamped poorly and 3/9 doesn't make much sense...any chance that, in the right light and using a magnifying glass they are actually 8/8?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how much this helps but the LE trade in .357 Sig P229 I own has MH3 AL night sights, and the best my aging eyes can see they appear to be 8/8.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
[A]ny chance that, in the right light and using a magnifying glass they are actually 8/8?

That was my first thought.
At one time there was a whole array of factory sights that were available for installing on SIG Classic line pistols, but in practice only a few were evidently used. And even the ones listed in my 2002 armorer manual don’t show a front sight number below 5. A number 9 rear sight number is possible, but unlikely.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
[A]ny chance that, in the right light and using a magnifying glass they are actually 8/8?

At one time there was a whole array of factory sights that were available for installing on SIG Classic line pistols, but in practice only a few were evidently used. And even the ones listed in my 2002 armorer manual don’t show a front sight number below 5. A number 9 rear sight number is possible, but unlikely.

I think that the sights made for suppressed sigs are 9 or 10 front and rear. They do exist. Every number up or down one on the rear sight is supposed to move poi 2 inches, the front sights move point of impact 1 inch and that assumes a combat hold, Front sight covering what you want to hit and level with the rear sight.

If the gun was originally a 40 cal then likely has an 8 rear and 6 front. 357 sig my favorite wants 8 and 8.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I recommend, as a total amateur, you consider the X-Ray sights from Sig. If you send the slide in, they will dial in the correct sight numbers. I love the green front and muted rear dots, both day and night.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
You had me wondering so I pulled out my 229 in .357 that I bought new in November 1995. I had the dimming sights replaced by SIG and here are closeups of the new what appear to be #9 front & rear sights. That is unless that was the year of the replacement sights?

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a low threshold
for bullshit
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, if you look about 15 or so posts below yours, member Guy1 asked the same question recently.

229 357 SIG front sight replacement

The SIG factory sights for .357 SIG are typically 8/8... however the sight numbers are pretty small and sometimes stamped poorly and 3/9 doesn't make much sense...any chance that, in the right light and using a magnifying glass they are actually 8/8?

Thanks. Sorry to have missed that. Appreciated.

Posts: 1687 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a low threshold
for bullshit
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

The 3&9 are clear enough, but I completely get where you're coming from on this...

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
H3 is the chemical symbol for tritium, 09 is the date of manufacture. The size is stamped into the sight but never painted, in my experience.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If Sig made a #3 front it would be 0.245" tall.
A #9 rear would be 0.260" tall.

Some are stamped some are not on the older ones.
You have to measure them to get the size.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
H3 is the chemical symbol for tritium, 09 is the date of manufacture. The size is stamped into the sight but never painted, in my experience.

Thanks!

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post