SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Trigger Job - Sig P320
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger Job - Sig P320 Login/Join 
posted
Gents,
The biggest thing frustrating me and is a kill-joy shooting the P320 is the stock trigger... I can't seem to find anything online for improving the trigger feel other than buying a complete trigger kit for over $100.00.

Is there a Do It Yourself 'how to' for a trigger job to improve the P320 stock trigger?

Thank you for any input you might have.

Posts: 178 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Mine are department issue, so I'm not messing with my triggers. As such, I can't really help with details on a "trigger job", but I will say they get better with proper lube and use. I've shot the snot out of mine, and it's noticeably smoother than most of the others we have in inventory. I just had one get turned in the other day from a guy who left, and when I was going through it I was struck by just how much smoother my well-worn gun is than that one.

My suggestion would be lube the contact surfaces between the trigger bar and the frame, as well as a thin film of lube (not too much!) on top of the disconnector and the safety lever where they ride against the slide. Then go shoot or at least dry-fire it a bunch, and it'll smooth out. I've been very happy with mine...it's just a run of the mill P320 carry, but it's probably the nicest trigger on a plastic striker gun that I've ever shot.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you 92fstech for your good input. I knew triggers get smoother with use but didn't expect that it would be as much improvement as you've experienced. This is good news although it would be hard for me to shoot the many rounds through this pistol just to smooth it out while not enjoying the shooting experience. I love the way the P320 feel in my hand though (Carry). I'll definitely try your lube suggestion but also, I'd like to think that (as is with most other striker fired pistols out there), there is a way to 'tune'/polish etc this trigger assembly to get the trigger pull better (smoother, lighter)..

Anyone on this Forum done this and willing to share?

Thanks much,

Posts: 178 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
I’ve not worked on a P320 but any gun can benefit from some careful hand polishing.

The idea is to just smooth the contact surfaces where moving parts come together without changing the shape of anything by removing too much metal.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’m curious as to what you do not like about your P320 trigger. What is the current pull weight? What trigger are you using flat or curved? I only have experience with two X5 Legions and two CW FCUs which are all fantastic and range from just under 3lbs to right around 4lbs. The two CW FCUs have a distinct wall but it’s really easy to blow right past it. I’ve spent a lot of time on the range to master this platform.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the good feedback Gents!

This FCU is a stock of the basic P320 pistol (FCU is original, not recall upgraded by SIG...). Definitely not the X5 or Legion level trigger experience.

dking271 - to answer your question regarding what I don't like about my P320 (Carry) trigger:

Pull weight is 6 lbs(!!)
Pre-travel feels 'flimsy/gritty' before the wall

Nice 'Wall'/Break
Very nice Reset

The trigger is the straight trigger with the forward kink at the bottom.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sams1,

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Were I you, I'd be tempted to just send it in for the upgrade. It's free, provides numerous benefits in addition to the drop-safety issue, and in the process of them swapping parts you might just end up with a better trigger. No guarantees, but there's always a chance. There could be grit in there that will get knocked out, or burrs on parts that will get swapped out. Since you aren't happy with the current trigger pull, it doesn't seem like you have much to lose.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you say the pistol hasn't been "upgraded" by Sig, do you mean that the pistol is a pre-"upgrade" model that hasn't had the work done? All P320 pistols manufactured since the "upgrade" began have the mod, no need to send it in.

I use quotations around "upgrade," because it was never an "upgrade," but simply Sig doing what they should have done in the first place.

I ended up having all my P320's done. There is no downside. The turn-around is quick.

There are several after-market triggers available. I've installed most of them. I like the Grayguns trigger. Their competition kit is excellent, but they don't recommend it for carry, nor would I. That said, it can be installed with the heavier springs, but any changes, I'd discuss directly with Grayguns; they designed their products with a purpose.

The Apex trigger is different. I have it on one pistol at the moment. I like it, though it's not the same as my other triggers, in feel, and functions a little differently.

An adjustable trigger is an improvement, in my opinion. The Grayguns triggers are adjustable, and the apex has a bushing to limit overtravel. It's a fairly easy installation if you're patient.

The surface beneath the trigger, where it has interface with the FCU frame, can be polished, and the pin beneath can be filed and relieved lightly to be more flush. Points of contact can be polished. I would not do anything in the actual sear or other surfaces unless you're comfortable with that work and know what you're accomplishing.

You can alternately send it to somewhere like Grayguns for their action work. Their drop in parts are easy to install, and will likely accomplish what you're after.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
92fstech and sns3guppy - yes, pre-upgrade, no work done since the recall announced. I've been meaning to send it out for the recall 'upgrade' for sometime now. Took your advice and called SIG earlier today. Got this set up and they sent me a shipping label. Going out to SIG tomorrow! Not sure it'll do anything to the trigger pull but worth doing it anyway. Actually, all aftermarket triggers require the SIG 'upgrade' to work properly.

Interestingly, in their instructions sheet, SIG asking to ship back also the Exchange Kit (Slide assembly), if any. This was a surprise to me - apparently the Upgrade includes work on the Striker mechanism too (??). I do have a .357 Sig Exchange kit that I will send with the pistol.

sns3guppy - thank you very much for pointing to areas that could use polish to improve the pull. Not looking for radically light pull and will be happy with 4.5lbs or thereabouts...
I am hoping to avoid spending north of $150.00 on an aftermarket trigger...

Thanks again guys! Smile

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice. At least this way, if you still end up needing to do work, it'll be done to new, permanent parts and not have to be redone later if you had decided down the road to do the upgrade. And like you've seen, there are a lot more aftermarket parts available for the post-upgrade guns.

Sig needs the slides back as there's a recess that needs to be milled in them for the disconnector.

I'm not sure how it is these days, as I sent mine in a couple of years ago. It was very painless...they paid shipping both ways and my gun was gone for about 2 weeks. The worst part was sitting around the house all day waiting for Fedex to show up so I could sign for it. They said they'd be there before noon, and got there at about 3pm.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I am not a P320 owner but have followed its evolution and recall reports of improved action smoothness and perceived feel on upgraded trigger actions. But again this was from following its evo and not actual personal experience.

Posts: 18013 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So.... The P320 pistol and the extra (Exchange Kit) .357 SIG Slide Assy are on the way to SIG. They say 2 to 3 weeks delivered back with all work done.

So far so good, we'll see if the upgrades help trigger pull any. Will keep you guys posted Smile

Thank you for all the good feedback!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Cool! Let us know how it is when you get it back!

posted Hide Post
The best thing you can do to improve a P320 trigger is polish the engagement surface on the striker tang. Flitz on a felt wheel is enough - make it shiny. This will reduce friction as the sear lowers to release the striker as you pull the trigger. I don't mess with the sear itself.

Also, install a Sig flat trigger to increase the leverage and reduce perceived pull weight.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the good points, Lefty Sig!

Pistol presently at SIG for the safety upgrade. Will definitely incorporate your points when it's back in my hands. Smile

posted Hide Post
Well, time to report back... Didn't take Sig Sauer long to do the safety upgrade on my FCU and Slide. Got them back withing less than two weeks. Interestingly, the have removed the Sig flat trigger I had in the gun and replaced it with their standard curved trigger - strange, but didn't charge me though.

Trigger pull weight didn't change at all, still over 6lbs. I then took Lefty Sig's advice and polished the engagement surfaces on both the FCU and slide (Striker) - this reduced the weight by a full one pound! Still not enough... I then had an opportunity to buy an Armory Craft trigger from one of our members here for a good price and the difference was amazing in both feel and weight. it is now about 3.75 lbs which is perrrrfect for me! Smile

Thank you guys for all your great input and support! Love this Forum!!

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^ I have an Apex trigger in one 320 and an Armory Craft in the other. The Armory C. trigger is much better imo.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6984 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sams1:
So.... The P320 pistol and the extra (Exchange Kit) .357 SIG Slide Assy are on the way to SIG. They say 2 to 3 weeks delivered back with all work done.

So far so good, we'll see if the upgrades help trigger pull any. Will keep you guys posted Smile

Thank you for all the good feedback!

I also have one of the original, unmodified P320's. A P320C 9mm (2015) and a FS .40 Exchange Kit. I'm leaving it as is for my own reasons. I do have a GrayGuns GGI PELT trigger installed. While the gun didn't really NEED it, it was a beneficial improvement. I don't know anything about the current "upgraded" GrayGuns trigger.

However, this is what I found. The trigger came with a lighter TBS spring and sear pin replacement. However, the factory spring can be used if desired.
1) MOST important, the internal geometry on the GrayGuns trigger is different from the factory. IMO, it resulted in a superior FEEL through the duration of the trigger press. To me, this was more important than weight.
2) Tried both the Factory and GrayGuns (lighter) springs. For carry use, I preferred the Factory.

While every gun is different, here are my records for the trigger changes on my P320:
1) Factory, new. Not broken in. 7 lbs
2) Factory, broken in. 6lbs 8oz
3) GrayGuns trigger with SIG TBS & sear pin. 4lbs 14oz
4) Item 4 with GrayGuns TBS was 1b 10oz lighter. Too light for my tastes.

I have been spoiled regarding triggers after shooting 1911's since 1962. My frame of reference has always been defensive use, not competition. However, I think too many shooter get their balls in an uproar over trigger weight. A shooter with good fundamentals should be able to make nearly any half-decent trigger work. Finally, there is more to the trigger than just the absolute weight measurement.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post