SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Von Stavenhagen sight question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Von Stavenhagen sight question Login/Join 
posted
I just picked up a new to me older model P229 with the Von Stavenhagen sights. I'm not a fan of the rear sight and would like to swap it out for a regular two white dot contrast sight. Does anyone know what size I should get to match the existing front sight or should I just get a complete new matching set? I'm not a night sight fan so that's not one of my options.

Posts: 273 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Depends on the caliber of your P229. The existing sights should be numbered. From the TGS FAQ:
https://www.topgunsupply.com/faq.html

quote:
If your gun is shooting well with what is on it, you should replace them with the same sight height numbers. A good light and magnifying glass can help to find the numbers on your sights. The dovetail cuts are all the same on standard P series (not P230/232) and SIGPRO models. If all else fails, SIG SAUER publishes a standard.

357SIG or 9mm will use a #8 front and #8 rear

40S&W and .45ACP will use a #6 front and #8 rear

We consider this a rule of thumb because we have seen all kinds of different sight height combinations. It is best to find the numbers on your current sights.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Whenever I switched from VS to two-dot, I just used the same number rear sight.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. My P229 is a 40 and I found the numbers marked on the sights. My rear is a #8 (front is a #6) so I need to find a rear #8 contrast sight.

Posts: 273 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might post in the classifieds. I suspect you’ll find some folks who have replaced contrast sights on purchased CPO Sig’s and they’d likely sell them to you for a minor amount.

But, some of us greatly prefer the VS style. If you’re going to stay with contrast-type sights (vs illuminated), the VS sight picture can be faster and more accurate in the context of combat-style sights.

Rear dots make sense to me for illuminated sights in dark conditions. But I think they are slow and unnecessary in daylight.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using white three dot contrast sights for most of my 75 years. They are my preferred sights for any gun I own. I don't find any difference in my shooting between three dot contrast sights and the VS sights. Frankly, I just don't like the looks of the VS sights. I figure when the SHTF I'm going to be more point shooting than true target acquisition, especially in the dark (that's also the reason I'm not into night sights).