SIGforum
Old 870 recoil/butt pad

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/4540084064

August 30, 2019, 08:53 PM
SBrooks
Old 870 recoil/butt pad
Need to get pad off and all the videos show pads with 2 tiny holes for screwdriver. This pad doesn't appear to have holes. Says "white line". Am I going to have to tear it off and buy new pad ? Will try to upload photo later.

I'm 55 and it was my grandfather's gun.

------------------
SBrooks
August 30, 2019, 09:01 PM
SBrooks
https://www.flickr.com/photos/...72286/in/dateposted/

------------------
SBrooks
August 31, 2019, 06:46 AM
orion5
Grease a Phillip's screwdriver and poke around where the screws should be. Driver will slip in where the holes are.

o5
August 31, 2019, 06:51 AM
MNSIG
The screw holes are more like slits on some pads. Try pressing back and forth on the rubber to see if any line or crack becomes visible. I suppose it's possible that someone glued it on, but I've never seen a factory one glued. The bolt that holds the stock to the receiver is also under there, so being able to get it back off without destroying it is usually part of the set up.

If you can't find any evidence of a screw, I'd probably make a saw cut at the level of the accordion section. If you run into the screws, you still have an opportunity to take them out.
August 31, 2019, 10:16 AM
SBrooks
The pad was so old it was cracking when I probed for the holes, so I cut it off. Best option for replacement ?

------------------
SBrooks
August 31, 2019, 01:25 PM
MNSIG
^^^^
I like the Pachmayr Decelerator
September 10, 2019, 05:49 PM
4MUL8R
Limbsaver! You can send the buttstock to them for a custom install, or you can get their unique elastomer pads at most gun shops. Remington offers a replacement pad that I think is made by Limbsaver.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
September 12, 2019, 06:04 AM
arfmel
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Limbsaver! You can send the buttstock to them for a custom install

I checked their website and couldn’t find anything about this-can you provide a link? I’d like to have one fitted and there’s nobody around here that does it.