SIGforum
P226 DAO to DA/SA

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/4280030884

December 30, 2021, 08:10 AM
NMDave
P226 DAO to DA/SA
I just ordered a West German P226 Police Trade that is DAO (I didn’t notice until after I placed the winning bid). It’s kind of funky because it has the decocker grips but nothing there. The gun was purchased as a donor for my next project and I want it to be DA/SA. I have a decock lever, spring, bushing, and DA/SA hammer. Are there any other parts needed for when I put the gun back together for a successful conversation?

Dave

December 30, 2021, 08:14 AM
Rotty37
Topgunsupply.com has a good section on the parts list to what you want to convert to.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/faq.html

Look under the subsection of: I want to convert my Sig pistol to/from section.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
December 30, 2021, 08:27 AM
NMDave
quote:
Originally posted by Rotty37:
Topgunsupply.com has a good section on the parts list to what you want to convert to.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/faq.html

Look under the subsection of: I want to convert my Sig pistol to/from section.

Thanks… That confirms what I was thinking. With all the Gray Guns parts I am putting in this build, about the only part staying in its original home will be the Hammer stop pin.

Dave

December 30, 2021, 08:30 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:
I have a decock lever, spring, bushing, and DA/SA hammer.

That’s all you need if you have the usual grip plates intended for use with the DA/SA trigger.

FWIW most DAO SIG pistols have DA/SA grip plates. Grips that are usable with only DAO triggers are rare.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
December 30, 2021, 09:04 AM
NMDave
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:
I have a decock lever, spring, bushing, and DA/SA hammer.

That’s all you need if you have the usual grip plates intended for use with the DA/SA trigger.

FWIW most DAO SIG pistols have DA/SA grip plates. Grips that are usable with only DAO triggers are rare.

Thanks! I love learning this stuff about the classics. I am sure there are other great handguns out there but damn those 226’s with non-railed frames just keep me coming back.

Dave

December 30, 2021, 05:11 PM
NMDave
Well… memory playing tricks on this old man. Went through my part drawer and I have everything I need EXCEPT for the bushing. I checked all my usual on-line vendors and everyone shows out of stock. Any suggestions for where I should look?

Dave

December 30, 2021, 08:11 PM
sigfreund
Numrich says they have them

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
December 30, 2021, 09:05 PM
NMDave
THANKS!!!

Just got it ordered…

Dave

January 20, 2022, 08:54 PM
JDG
Isn’t there a window in the grip frame that needs to be present in order to do the swap? Might just be if your starting with a DAK frame…
January 21, 2022, 11:04 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:
Isn’t there a window in the grip frame that needs to be present in order to do the swap? Might just be if your starting with a DAK frame…

I’m not sure what this refers to, but perhaps you’re confusing switching between old style double action only and double action/single action and converting to DAK. The DAK conversion does require that the frame of the pistol be configured to accept DAK parts, and older frames weren’t.

To switch between DAO and DA/SA, however, requires only installing or removing the decocking mechanism and changing to the proper hammer. The frames of both original DAO and DA/SA guns are the same.

6.4/93.6

— Plato
January 21, 2022, 11:46 AM
NMDave
quote:
I’m not sure what this refers to, but perhaps you’re confusing switching between old style double action only and double action/single action and converting to DAK. The DAK conversion does require that the frame of the pistol be configured to accept DAK parts, and older frames weren’t.

To switch between DAO and DA/SA, however, requires only installing or removing the decocking mechanism and changing to the proper hammer. The frames of both original DAO and DA/SA guns are the same.

My thoughts as well. The only “window” difference is between the DA/SA, DAO models (same) and the DAK model that has a slight dip under trigger bar.

Dave

January 22, 2022, 06:53 AM
JDG
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:

It appears you need a DAK compatible frame, if you wanted to convert to DAK. I knew there was something, just does not effect the OPs swap. It was a long time ago when I swapped my 226 DAK, to DA/SA, and remembered something about a window in the frame. Carry onSmile