SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Manual Racking of Slide and Ejection Issue (?)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manual Racking of Slide and Ejection Issue (?) Login/Join 
posted
I have always removed a live round from a loaded gun by manually racking the slide and normally the round will eject, some more forcefully than others, depending on the make/model of the gun. I also use this as an indication of whether the ejector is working properly or not. I have a new Ruger EC9S that jams the round when I try to manually eject it. I feel that this is a problem that needs to be fixed but Ruger CS tells me it is normal for that gun. The gun does eject normally when actually firing. I've been shooting semi autos for over 50 years and this is the first time I've ever had this issue. Comments?

Posts: 289 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
If it ejects when firing a live round then it’s ok imo.

Posts: 18142 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Are you pulling slide forcefully enough?
From page 19 of the user manual:

"When the pistol is fired, the same gas pressure that drives the bullet forward also acts through the cartridge case to push the slide to the rear. The action causes extraction and ejection of the fired cartridge case. If the shooter wishes to eject a chambered cartridge manually, follow the procedure “To Unload,” p. 18. When the slide is operated by hand, there can be a failure to extract the cartridge from the chamber, or a failure to eject the cartridge clear of the pistol. These failures usually are the result of the slide not being pulled rearward vigorously. The firearm user must: 1. Always visually check the chamber and the breech-face after opening the slide to eject a chambered cartridge. If the slide is not vigorously retracted when being operated by hand, the extracted cartridge can be “ejected” into the magazine-well of the grip frame or remain held to the breech face by the extractor."

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1917 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
Are you pulling slide forcefully enough?
From page 19 of the user manual:

I am pulling as hard as I can and still nothing. The round generally jams between the extractor and the breech face. It does not fall into the magwell. I then have to turn it upside down and pull the slide while shaking it hard to get the round to fall out. My point is that you shouldn't have to do this every time to empty a loaded round. Every gun I've ever had prior to this one has always ejected manually at least enough to get the round out of the chamber.

Posts: 289 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I don't own any Ruger pistols, but looking through their user manuals and checking youtube videos, apparently they're designed that way. Here's an example of a LCP Max with a similar problem:

It seems to me that by "vigorously" they really mean "fast". In the video, it only ejected when he pulled fast on the slide. In this case slide speed is more important than slide force when manually ejecting a cartridge. I suppose it makes sense in that it normally ejects at high speed when firing. However, I agree that it should be much easier to manually clear a loaded chamber, but that's how Ruger designed it. Like you, none of my pistols exhibit that behavior.

My other question is does it do that with different manufacturer's ammo. And different types of ammo: FMJs, JHPs, etc. Sometimes overall cartridge length differs slightly from one mfg to another.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1917 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
I don't own any Ruger pistols, but looking through their user manuals and checking youtube videos, apparently they're designed that way. Here's an example of a LCP Max with a similar problem:

It seems to me that by "vigorously" they really mean "fast". In the video, it only ejected when he pulled fast on the slide. In this case slide speed is more important than slide force when manually ejecting a cartridge. I suppose it makes sense in that it normally ejects at high speed when firing. However, I agree that it should be much easier to manually clear a loaded chamber, but that's how Ruger designed it. Like you, none of my pistols exhibit that behavior.

My other question is does it do that with different manufacturer's ammo. And different types of ammo: FMJs, JHPs, etc. Sometimes overall cartridge length differs slightly from one mfg to another.

I agree with the guy in the video. It just ain't right. I've pulled hard, fast, slow, etc. and it's the same every time. I've used FMJ and JHP with the same results. When I get it back from Ruger, it's gone.

posted Hide Post
I bought one of the very early Ruger semi-auto 9mm's. I had nothing but trouble and had to fix it myself. Learned a lesson.
Stick with Ruger revolvers...

Posts: 58 | Location: north-central Florida | Registered: February 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Huh? If they are designed that way, how do you unload it? Am I misunderstanding this? What does it tell you to do on page 18 for the unloading procedure?

I've only ever owned a Ruger MKIII-IV pistol, so forgive my ignorance on their pistols.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You would think in a situation where you need to clear a round, it should pop right out! Does it only do this with the mag removed?
Edit:
I see you sent it back to its maker... Good luck!

Posts: 483 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post